Are plastic fuel filters really that bad?

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Zuyevali
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1967 Isuzu Unicab, a two-wheel-drive utility vehicle; 1982 isuzu pup longbed diesel

Are plastic fuel filters really that bad?

Postby Zuyevali » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 am

I installed a Napa Gold fuel filter with the plastic body on my Isuzu about 2 months ago, it's one that I had bought probably a year ago and never used. I have since read a lot of negative comments about the plastic filters, but a lot of it seemed like opinion rather than facts and numbers. I have an extra OEM AC Delco TP3012 sitting on the shelf in the garage now, and need to pull the fender liner off anyway to re-mate the downpipe to the exhaust since I've been getting smoke and fuel smell when the truck goes into regen, wondering if I should change the fuel filter back to OEM again while I'm in there. Thoughts?

puttputtinpup

Re: Are plastic fuel filters really that bad?

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I've never heard of a plastic fuel filter for this engine (not saying there isn't) and you kinda lost me on the regen. These little diesels don't do regens.

I always used a Purolator fuel filter. It had a metal body.

crazy4diesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Pup Turbo Diesel, DLX, manual, long bed / 1983 M-B 300TD with manual transmission / 1991 Mazda Bongo 2.0TD / 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon manual

Re: Are plastic fuel filters really that bad?

Postby crazy4diesel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Mercedes uses a small plastic pre-filter in the line before the fuel goes to the primary filter. Is that what you mean?
So many diesels, so little time.