Turbo passport

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
robgt22
Isuzu vehicle(s): honda passport 95 with isuzu c223 diesel engine

Re: Turbo passport

Postby robgt22 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:05 pm

So I just got an idea, might be possible that my engine being recently rebuilt even with new oil pump, is putting too much oil pressure to the turbo? I've been reading about oil restrictors for turbo applications, but I'm not completely sure.
The trick when fixing something is not being afraid of making it worse.

joeshmoe44883

Postby joeshmoe44883 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Oil restrictors are for ball bearing turbos only. Too much oil on ball bearings make the balls hydroplane, creating tons of drag and other problems. Unless your putting out 100+psi of oil pressure your turbo will take whatever oil your throwing at it.

Where is your crankcase breather? You could be pressurizing your crankcase, which will also pressurize the center housing of the turbo.

If the drain is open and free to drain to the pan, then its something other than a bad seal.
2 86 Trooper II diesels, one 4 door the other 2, both projects.
86 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with factory 2.1L turbo diesel.
05 Jeep Liberty Limited with 2.8L diesel (totaled)
06 Chevy Silverado with duramax
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:34 pm

joeshmoe44883 wrote:Oil restrictors are for ball bearing turbos only. Too much oil on ball bearings make the balls hydroplane, creating tons of drag and other problems. Unless your putting out 100+psi of oil pressure your turbo will take whatever oil your throwing at it.

Where is your crankcase breather? You could be pressurizing your crankcase, which will also pressurize the center housing of the turbo.

If the drain is open and free to drain to the pan, then its something other than a bad seal.

Mine is still the one with the draft tube, drain is flowing free, I tried draining to a bottle just for testing purposes, and there was a good flow of oil, and I didn't see any oil coming from the oil pan nipple when doing it, so the drain is fine, I do was running without the cold side attached to my intake, but I don't think that's causing the oil passing through the seal.

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 pm

College has kept me busy, but the turbo install is finally complete, I was still getting some oil through my intake but somebody told me i needed to boost, and the more boost it made the better it would seal and eventually it happened, no more oil! :D power is great, i was actually expecting less, it appears to be wastegated at 8 psi, but its more than enough for me, i gave the pump 1/4 of a turn and i cant see any smoke, only a slight gray haze which is what some folks here agree to be the best. Im getting some temperature problems when hitting hills, but i think its because im running without a fan shroud, temp gets slightly over 200F so I just go easier on her, my MPG have increased a lot!! after doind the 4x4 conversion and using the 31 tires my MPG dropped badly, but now they appear to be actually better, I straightpiped it and it sounds so wonderful! the gt1749 appears to be a good choice for this engine, theres almost no turbo lag and it has an amazing throttle response, now the truck does get attention haha, ill upload pictures later. Thanks everyone for the tips and tricks! without you it just wouldnt happen.

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 am

Here's a short video on how the exhaust sounds, still need to upload one of how it drives. :) https://youtu.be/YxLDNViQ0l4

getsomesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): New to me 1982 4x4 2.2 Pup with Rust free straight body.

Postby getsomesy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:12 pm

robgt22 wrote:College has kept me busy, but the turbo install is finally complete --I straightpiped it and it sounds so wonderful! the gt1749 appears to be a good choice for this engine, theres almost no turbo lag and it has an amazing throttle response, now the truck does get attention haha, ill upload pictures later. Thanks everyone for the tips and tricks! without you it just wouldnt happen.

Very cool!
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 N/A. 129K+ Rust free and running slowly.
Had a VW Caddy 1.6; wanted 4x4, bench seat, truck frame. - Behold the PUP new to me at 128k
Currently working on giving it the TLC that's been forgone and getting to know it.

Return to “Diesel - Performance Mods & Upgrades”