Turbo passport

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
2sk8

Re: Turbo passport

Postby 2sk8 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

robgt22 wrote:
2sk8 wrote:And you could also try to clock the compression housing for a better fitment.

Check this post so you have an idea of what I did, hope it helps:

http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22970&p=155217&hilit=2sk8#p147606

Keep going at it. You almost have it.

Thanks! Maybe it's not shown in here but my main problem is the turbo was mounted on the right side of the engine i took it from, so the flange is facing the wrong side, that's why I want to do an elbow, for clocking the housing, I just need to remove the bolts that hold it in place? Or there's something else I need to do?

Clocking the turbo is really easy, just loose the bolts and turn until you find the best position for your spot.

I can tell you that fitting a turbo involves lots of fabrication: The most important thing is to find a turbo that is small(GT15 or so) and one that is very easy to clock in any direction both for the compressor side and the hot side.

I have done so far 5 different turbo installations on the C223, going from a T3 from a Mercedes 300Sd to a GT1749V I'm currently working on(Almost done, will post pictures soon).

And I can tell you from experience that the best configuration is the opposite of the factory turbo(Is so much easier to work on and install in my opinion), that is the turbo compressor housing facing the front of the car.

Unfortunately most of the time when doing a custom turbo install you need to make custom flanges: One to connect the turbo to the exhaust manifold and another one to connect to the down pipe.

I have spent lot of hours on each turbo setup just to come up with the best configuration. You will get it, just move the turbo around, clock it here and there. Ideas will come to you on how to get it done, just don't give up.

The down pipe flange is no so hard to make. Once you make the down pipe flange, weld it to a 2" 45 degree pipe and finally use a 2" flex pipe and connect the 2 and that's it, That's how I did it.

Every turbo install it's a challenge. You are getting close.

Keep up the good work

robgt22
Isuzu vehicle(s): honda passport 95 with isuzu c223 diesel engine

Postby robgt22 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 pm

The turbo is finally in, now I was thinking about teeing the vacuum pump oil line, but it's too short to do it, another place I was thinking was on the oil pressure switch, is there any other oil line that I can connect it to?? Sorry if it sounds dumb.
Attachments
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
The trick when fixing something is not being afraid of making it worse.

joeshmoe44883

Postby joeshmoe44883 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks great! Isuzu t'd off the vac line, but they used a longer bolt at the block and the turbo had its own banjo fitting. Heres a pic:
IMG_1995.JPG

You can T off the oil press switch, there are other plugs to get to the oil gallery but they are probably inaccessible with all the fuel injection stuff right there.
Oil return could T into the vac pump drain. The turbo motors had a seperate drain to the pan, which is ideal. Finding a good drain is what i always consider to be the most difficult/ biggest pain.
2 86 Trooper II diesels, one 4 door the other 2, both projects.
86 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with factory 2.1L turbo diesel.
05 Jeep Liberty Limited with 2.8L diesel (totaled)
06 Chevy Silverado with duramax
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I already got everything I need for the feed line, for the drain line the stock drain tube that came with the turbo got cut, and got a barb fitting instead, I haven't found the Y I need to connect the turbo drain line to the vacuum pump drain, but things are actually happening.
Attachments
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Today I was finally able to fire her up, didn't have the intake piping but I wanted to check for leaks on the oil lines, turbo sounded sweet! I'll upload the video tomorrow, the gt1749 appears to be a good fit for the c223, even without load it seemed to agre with the engine, however it looks like the compressor wheel is a little misaligned, as it appears that the wheel is rubbing against it a lil.
Attachments
IMG_1781.JPG
You can see how I teed the vacuum pump return line.
IMG_1779.JPG

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:52 pm

:D
Attachments
IMG_1805.PNG
Turbo finally spinning on the engine.

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Here's the link to the video if theres anyone that wants to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7RcoFu ... e=youtu.be not sounds bad for me lol

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Well not so good news, I left the truck to warm up so I could check if I had any oil leak before I continued installing everything, I found some oil on my hood, valve cover and around the engine bay, checked and everything was ok, when checking the turbo it looked like it has bad seals, and for no reason I'm leaving the turbo in there, I'm getting it to a turbo shop to replace them, better to be safe than sorry.
Attachments
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm

I almost blew up a coworkers VW. No clue the turbo had bad seals after I burned out his clogged manifold... turbo hadnt spooled up in a long time. Slapped the intake back together. Started it and took it around the block. Got to the top of my hill and boom it ran away 6 grand and climbing on the tach. Dumpee the clutch in 5th to get it stopped.

Glad you caught it and that it didnt run away!
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Halden wrote:I almost blew up a coworkers VW. No clue the turbo had bad seals after I burned out his clogged manifold... turbo hadnt spooled up in a long time. Slapped the intake back together. Started it and took it around the block. Got to the top of my hill and boom it ran away 6 grand and climbing on the tach. Dumpee the clutch in 5th to get it stopped.

Glad you caught it and that it didnt run away!

Sure it wasn't a good thing!! I can only imagine what woulda happen :shock: , I decided to get the turbo rebuilt, after all I want it to be reliable, so why not now that the turbo is already at the shop.

robgt22

Postby robgt22 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Turbo is back! :D I'll keep working now, I golpe to get it done by tomorrow, I really miss my truck on the road. It came looking very nice actually.
Attachments
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG

Return to “Diesel - Performance Mods & Upgrades”