HORN

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
BJs_pup

HORN

Postby BJs_pup » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before....

My horn on my '86 Pup will not work. I've checked fuses, wires, and all connections. I'm assuming the actual horn is fried. Any suggestions? Thanks
86 P'up 2.3L Gas 5 speed long bed

Twin_Stacks

Re: HORN

Postby Twin_Stacks » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Many others including myself have had this problem. This is most likely where the problem is: remove the 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel to remove that horn button plastic. Disconnect the wire from the horn button. Remove the wheel and check the brass ring on the back of the wheel and the pin that is spring loaded that touches it. Most people lube that spring and put a 22 shell casing over the pin. Good luck.
Jared
1986 Isuzu Pup diesel, 5spd, 3" stacks, custom flat bed

gtownrattler

Postby gtownrattler » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I've got the same problem too.
1984 LWB LS 2wd Diesel (wrecked, using for personal parts)
1986 SWB 2wd Gasser (project, want to convert from gas to diesel)
1986 SWB 4wd Diesel (daily driver)

diesllover

Postby diesllover » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:19 pm

I had a similar problem but only had to take off the plastic around the column & ign switch to get to mine. Grease it with some electical grease while you have it apart. It is metal on metal without the grease and the brass ring is soft and wears quickly when turning the steering wheel, so lube is important to make it last.

If I were going to work on a horn that did not make a sound, the first thing I would do is locate the horn (around the radiator or hidden somewhere) and make sure the horn itself was capable of making noise. I tore the steering column apart on another vehicle once, only to find out that I needed to replace the horn itself because it would not work no matter what.

Good Luck....Tom
84 LS 2.2 longbed 2WD 79kmiles
80's I-mark dsl

robsPuP

Postby robsPuP » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:55 pm

i had a problem like this with my 88, but it turned out to be that the wire had cut itself at the base of the plug that goes into the horn but it still looked like the wire was together though. so i cut the plug off and put a new one on and it worked!
'88 4 cyl, 5 speed,156k, 2.3L gas

BJs_pup

Postby BJs_pup » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Thank you Twin_Stacks! I did just as you said and BINGO, horn works perfectly. Before I took anything off though, I used a flat head screwdriver and touched the pin and brass ring at the same time while hittin the horn and it worked. The pin was actually not touching the ring at all causing it not to work. Instead of a 22 casing, I used heavy duty aluminum foil over the pin until I can actually use a casing. Very easy fix...

Twin_Stacks

Postby Twin_Stacks » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Glad you got it fixed. When I did mine, I appoxied a piece of graphite out of a carpenters pencil on the 22 casing. It's been working for over a year.
Jared

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Some have managed to fit the shell casing onto the pin without removing the steering wheel.
Andy

Twin_Stacks

Postby Twin_Stacks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 am

puttputtinpup wrote:Some have managed to fit the shell casing onto the pin without removing the steering wheel.
Andy

Really? Wow, there isn't a 1/4 inch between my wheel and the steering column.
Jared

BJs_pup

Postby BJs_pup » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:37 am

I got some sheet metal last night and shaped it into the shape of a shell casing and put it over the pin and it works great. I only had to take off the steering column, which I thought was easier. I agree, I don't see how I could've done that without taking one of the two off.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 am

Mine bent and wore down. I disassembled the whole switch assembly enough to put the pin on my vise and straighten it. The best thing you can do is to keep these contacts lubricated with dielectric grease. If you hear any "chatter" when turning the wheel, it's dry.

Jack

Twin_Stacks

Postby Twin_Stacks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 am

BJs_pup wrote:I got some sheet metal last night and shaped it into the shape of a shell casing and put it over the pin and it works great. I only had to take off the steering column, which I thought was easier. I agree, I don't see how I could've done that without taking one of the two off.

You need to make sure that it is lubricated between your custom casing and that brass wheel or it might eventually wear through.
Jared

scromer

Postby scromer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:47 am

Yes, had the same problem on my 1982 LUV diesel, My brother In-law showed me that I could put a screw driver between the spring and the brass ring of the stearing wheel. After taking the stearing wheel off, i was not able to see what really
caused the problem, (maybe plastic shrinkage over years..??..). My fix was to put washers under the brass ring
to rase it up just alittle to make it always touch the spring. :D

Now my horn still sounds like it's got a head cold. I was thinking about putting another horn on it. but I found out that
it has two wires going to it. (Pos & Neg) and it's also mounted in rubber. So a normal horn will not work unless you do some special mounting to keep it from touching the Neg Ground. :(

I also noticed on my 82 Luv that it has 2 sets of wires for "DUAL" horns. i haven't put in a second horn yet but it should help alot.

Stephen
West Columbia, SC

Twin_Stacks

Postby Twin_Stacks » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:31 am

I took a horn out of a wrecked Freightliner dump truck and one out of an old GMC spreader truck. Bolted them both in there and hooked them up through a relay so not to burn anything up. My dad and I have a little trick we do to each other: when one of us is under the hood, the other reaches in the cab and honks the horn. Scares the living daylights out you each time!
Jared