IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:03 pm 

hi guys,
just joined the site, and it looks like theres a great bunch of people here. i bought a 88 2.3 5sp pickup this week, and i have noticed the clutch engages very high but does not slip. is there any way of adjusting the engagement point on these? found a few threads about adjusting, but they all seem to be for the pre 87 pups. i just hate having to ride out the clutch while taking off. other than that, i really like the lil pup so far!
thanks in advance
Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 am 

I have a 4x4 93 Pickup, which has a hydraulic clutch, and mine has an adjustment rod attached to the pedal in the cab. If yours is 2 wheel drive then you probably have a clutch cable. Check to see if it has the threaded rod attached to the clutch pedal in the cab.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 pm 
Official Sensei, IsuzuPup Dōjō

ruppenduro wrote:
hi guys,
just joined the site, and it looks like theres a great bunch of people here. i bought a 88 2.3 5sp pickup this week, and i have noticed the clutch engages very high but does not slip. is there any way of adjusting the engagement point on these? found a few threads about adjusting, but they all seem to be for the pre 87 pups. i just hate having to ride out the clutch while taking off. other than that, i really like the lil pup so far!
thanks in advance
Jon

IF NOTHING IS WORN OUT ,, HERE IS THE WAY TO ADJUST THE CABLE, UNDER THE HOOD FIND WHERE THE CABLE GOES THRU THE FIREWALL ION THE DRV SIDE , RIGHT WHERE THE CABLE GOES THRU THE FIREWALL YOU WILL SEE TWO LARGE NUTS THAT ARE TIGHTENED AGAINST EACH OTHER LOOSEN THEM UP COUNTER CLOCKWISE UNTILL THE CABLE IS SLACK, NOW PULL THE CABLE BACK TOWARD THE RADIATIOR UNTILL YOU CAN FEEL TENSION ON THE PEDAL, AND RUN THE NUTS ALL THE WAY UP TO THE STOP, NOW GO IN AND PRESS THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR A COUPLE OF TIMES , NOW GO BACK AND TIGHTEN THE NUTS UP A LITTLE MORE UNTILL THE PEDAL HAS ABOUT 1 INCH FREE PLAY AT THE TOP OF THE PDEAL MOVEMENT , AND THEN SEE WHERE THE PEDAL RELEASE ENGAGES THE CLUTCH, IF IT IS STILL VERY LOW TO THE FLOOR THE DISC IS MOST LIKELY WORN OUT , JERRY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:44 pm 

This will be good to know since I just purchased an '88 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 pm 

I was doing this on my 81 LUV today!! :mrgreen:

1981 LUV IDI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

itsadiesel wrote:
I was doing this on my 81 LUV today!! :mrgreen:
If you haven't checked it yet, you should take a look at the "cowl" where the adjustment nuts are. It's very common for these to crack and break around the adjusting nuts. When this happens, the clutch will be hard to fully disengage, and it becomes hard to get it in gear from a dead stop.

Isuzu issued a TSB about this problem. They sold a repair part, but it's something that any shop can fab up from scratch. It has to be welded in.

Jack

Edit your Signature
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way