93 2.3 diverter valve

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Lovemy6boys
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1993 Isuzu pickup standard 2.3L

93 2.3 diverter valve

Postby Lovemy6boys » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi guys! We have had an issue with our Pickup burning up 2 diverter valves and not sure why. I have been unable to find anything as it doesn’t seem to find me anything when I look it up online or even in the manual. Is anyone here familiar with this? And if so any recommendations on where to start or look? TIA

Lovemy6boys

Does anyone know anything about the air bypass/diverter valve?

Postby Lovemy6boys » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 am

If anyone here knows anything about this I have some questions PLEASE!!!

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: 93 2.3 diverter valve

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Based on lack of responses so far, I'm wondering if perhaps this part, or assembly goes by some other name. Is this part of the air conditioning system, or is it something related to the engine?

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 am

There's gotta be a different name for them. Perhaps a better description or a picture of tha part would better help us help you.

Darby

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:26 am

IMG_1595.JPG

Do you mean this thing? I thought mine was the only truck that still had it. Pricey little devil isn't it?
All I know is it routes the air from that antipollution pump into the exhaust or diverts it out that open hole. I don't see how it could "burn up". There's no heat there. I believe the theory is the fresh air pumped to the exhaust will cause any unburned gasses to be burned.
It is called a diverter valve and Auto Zone has it.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

Darby

Postby Darby » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 am

On further research it is also called an air switching valve. There is also a check valve between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold. Possibly a bad one could allow heat to travel from the exhaust to the diverter valve?
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).

Lovemy6boys

Postby Lovemy6boys » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

Darby wrote:IMG_1595.JPG

Do you mean this thing? I thought mine was the only truck that still had it. Pricey little devil isn't it?
All I know is it routes the air from that antipollution pump into the exhaust or diverts it out that open hole. I don't see how it could "burn up". There's no heat there. I believe the theory is the fresh air pumped to the exhaust will cause any unburned gasses to be burned.
It is called a diverter valve and Auto Zone has it.

Yes this is the part!! It is a costly part and I will try an attach a picture of the burnt one. As of right now my husband has “bypassed” it but I worry any other damage could come from that.
Attachments
F354FCF9-F2DB-4B36-A89B-D4BA6F8A495C.jpeg

Lovemy6boys

Postby Lovemy6boys » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 am

Darby wrote:On further research it is also called an air switching valve. There is also a check valve between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold. Possibly a bad one could allow heat to travel from the exhaust to the diverter valve?

I will let the husband know so he can find this check valve. Thank you for all your responses I had ALMOST given up on coming back lol

Darby

Postby Darby » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Wow, that's quite a melt down.
I've tried to keep my truck as stock as possible. However if there are no emissions concerns, I believe several people on here have eliminated that system completely. Maybe one of them can give you the information to do that.
One last thing, is the air pump pumping? I've got a feeling that would be pricey also.

isuzuesque

Postby isuzuesque » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 pm

The part of the air switching valve that is burning up is connected directly to the air injection pipe correct? There should be a check valve there that keeps hot exhaust gas from blowing back down the hose into the switching valve. That check valve is the problem and needs to be replaced. Did the hose that connects them melt as well?

John
1984 GMC S-15 Short Bed Pickup 2wd with Stock Isuzu 1.9L Gas Engine
manual 4 speed, manual steering, manual brakes, original owner, awesome!

Lovemy6boys

Postby Lovemy6boys » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:02 pm

isuzuesque wrote:The part of the air switching valve that is burning up is connected directly to the air injection pipe correct? There should be a check valve there that keeps hot exhaust gas from blowing back down the hose into the switching valve. That check valve is the problem and needs to be replaced. Did the hose that connects them melt as well?

John

Thank John I will let my husband know so we can get it running properly again! I really appreciate your response.

Carol

Lovemy6boys

Postby Lovemy6boys » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:05 pm

Darby wrote:Wow, that's quite a melt down.
I've tried to keep my truck as stock as possible. However if there are no emissions concerns, I believe several people on here have eliminated that system completely. Maybe one of them can give you the information to do that.
One last thing, is the air pump pumping? I've got a feeling that would be pricey also.

Darby it is quite a meltdown!! We have since bypassed this system as we are in Florida and there are no emission checks but just like you we really want to keep this P’up stock. So the husband will be checking the check valve and hopefully we can get it back to where it needs to be. I really appreciate all your help with this!!

Carol