Trooper P/s into Luv truck

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
bobb1942
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1980 Luv truck Mikada

Trooper P/s into Luv truck

Postby bobb1942 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:52 am

I'm trying to install an 84-86 trooper power steering unit into my 80 chevy Luv truck. The info I have obtained states that I have to take the steering box including the pitman arm from the trooper. The supplier of the trooper parts tells me that the pitman arm on the trooper box only has one hole in it to connect to the steering arm. My luv truck pitman arm has 2 holes in it. One hole connects the d/s steering arm and the other connects the drag link arm to the other wheel. How do I use the trooper pitman arm?????? The info I have comes from 2011 and I get no response from person who has done the installation. I have to be missing something. I'm an old street rodder (76) so I know these conversions can be challenging. LOL

bobb1942

Re: Trooper P/s into Luv truck

Postby bobb1942 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am

Does the Luv truck pitman arm fit the trooper P/S box. If it does, why would it be so critical that I obtain the trooper pitman arm and be concerned that it is the right length?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

Somebody (oldestisuzuist) just answered that same question on the LuvTruck.com forum. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here.

Jack

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am

Now I see, that was your topic:
http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?p=222584

Jack

bobb1942

Postby bobb1942 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 am

Jack, I saw that reply on Luvtruck forum. The reply seems to be an assumption that it will fit. I don't want to spend $300 on trooper parts and not feel comfortable I know what I'm doing. Why would I need the pitman arm if I'm not using it is my real question. They even say to measure it to make sure it's correct length. The posts are years old and the installers have not responded to my PM's. John from Ark, has the parts I need, he put me on to this website. I know it can be done with machining and money, but this is suppose to be a bolt together change over.

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 pm

A lot of the posts for installing Trooper power steering into a LUV were for trucks that had a Toyota or similar straight front axle swapped in, in this case the Trooper pitman arm- provided it's the right length- is a bolt-on for the crossover steering these type axles use. The length issue depends upon the radius from where the drag link & steering arm connects to the knuckle: a too-short pitman arm won't turn the knuckle far enough before the gearbox hits it's internal stops.
As far as I know the power & non-power steering gearboxes use the same taper for the pitman arm (it just doesn't make sense that Isuzu would make two different gears & pitman arms for power & non-power gearboxes), if so then your 2-hole LUV pitman arm should bolt right on to the Trooper power steering gearbox & you wouldn't need the Trooper pitman arm. You might PM JLEMOND to confirm. If your stock pitman will fit the Trooper gearbox then it will automatically be the correct length.
One thing you will have to adapt is the non-power steering shaft to the power gearbox, evidently they connect differently.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

Pupfocused

Postby Pupfocused » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am

I was going to install power steering on my 81 before it disappeared. It was my understanding that the shaft in the steering column is a different length with and without power steering. It is my understanding that the shafts are interchangeable. I believe there are some posts where the shafts were cut and welded.

Jim
1981 diesel pup(gone)
1985 4x4 diesel pup
1986 diesel trooper

heathw
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 diesel conversion, 1986 4x4 pup diesel

Postby heathw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:46 am

I am not sure if this helps, but I put p/s on my 91 pickup from an 84 pup. Everything was direct bolt in. The steering box and shaft. It has been a few years since I have done this, but I believe I did have to swap out the pitman arm. I was even able to put the manual steering box back on the pup.
91 Isuzu p/u Converted to diesel
86 4X4 Pup diesel