Frozen wheel alignment shim plate nuts. How to dislodge intermediate steering shaft?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
getsomesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 86' TurboDiesel Spacecab 4x4 :D

Frozen wheel alignment shim plate nuts. How to dislodge intermediate steering shaft?

Postby getsomesy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

I got some new wheels 15x7 4.5" backspace (fit beautifully) with 215/70/15 highway tires. They fit really nice, would have preferred to go 215/75/15 or 225/70/15 cause theres a lil more space... next time... better safe than sorry.

Anyways, i went to get an allignment afterwards and the shop could not get the camber shim plate nuts loose. They were rusted to the plates.
I spent many frustratig hours getting 3/4 loose, but the 4th, which is obscured by the steering intermediate shaft would not come loose. In the process i rounded out the nut a good bit trying to get it loose with an open end wrench (due to clearance issues) now the nut is pretty boogered, and i still cant get it loose.
I
So, i am thinking that if i can get the steering intermeiate shaft out of the way, i could probaby fit some sort of cutoff tool in their to destroy and remove the nut.

8i dont want to use heat because theres lots of heat sensitive stuff nearby, especially the upper control arm bushing is like 2" away.

So i guess the real question is, how can i get tberhe shaft out of the way without dismantling my steering box or dash/steering collum?

Thanks!
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 N/A. 129K+ Rust free and running slowly.
Had a VW Caddy 1.6; wanted 4x4, bench seat, truck frame. - Behold the PUP new to me at 128k
Currently working on giving it the TLC that's been forgone and getting to know it.