new clutch broke. Whats a good one?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
xomojo

new clutch broke. Whats a good one?

Postby xomojo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Installed a new clutch last year some time, truck had 257k.. I had bought one off ebay years earlier first time it slipped.. When installed I hated it, under ANY strain at all it liked to cha cha chatter like crazy.. I tried to avoid the violent chatter but I haul motorcycles a lot and there's some hills around here so one day I felt something break as a result..
Started to hear a faint rattle noise but it still drove so I kept driving it.. Well yesterday it finally got WAY worse and its time to fix it..
I went on rock auto and I see I can just buy the part that broke, but I don't know which part that is yet and I don't have a spare vehicle so..

I also sort of assumed maybe it was my fault, not only for buying a cheap clutch on ebay but never having my flywheel resurfaced or replaced.. Though I did scuff it up with sandpaper pretty good.. It did not seem warped or cracked..

My new cable I bought this year also sucks, I have to pull it off and spray pb blaster in it every month or so cause it starts to get stiff and stick in place which takes away all the feel in the clutch.. And stiffness is what broke the original off where it attaches to the pedal..

So normally I would buy all new everything.. Rock auto has a heavy duty clutch for high torque hahaha not sure I need all that.. New flywheel is $50 for the cheap one.. up to over 100..

Thing is my truck has 291k.. As much as I'd like to think she'll live forever I don't want to go overboard on parts..
Pretty sure my tranny is leaking too, since last time I did the clutch I replaced the rear main seal and I still see a lot of leaking under there I can only assume its the input shaft on the trans thats leaking, anyone replaced that seal on theirs?

So who knows which clutch on rock auto doesn't suck?

Since I hated this clutch I'll get a whole new one instead of trying to replace just what broke.. I'm assuming it was either one of the springs on the friction plate or one of the teeth on the pressure plate but I'm no expert so I'll find out when I open it up again..

Any suggestions appreciated.. thanks gentleman
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI

oldestisuzuist

Re: new clutch broke. Whats a good one?

Postby oldestisuzuist » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 pm

OEM clutch was Exedy or Daikin
LUK also has a good reputation
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

gruff54

Postby gruff54 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 am

If the flywheel can be resurfaced, I'd go that route instead of a new one. Unless the new one is OEM.
I've had good luck with LUK clutches.

Mike
'89 Trooper 2.6L-5 spd
'87 Trooper 2.6gas to 4jb1-t swap(in progress)

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 am

Check the condition of the starter ring teeth before deciding to resurface.
When I priced flywheel resurfacing for my Trooper 2.3 it was less than $20 cheaper than a new unit. With delivery & pickup at a machine shop on top of the machining cost I just went with a new one, which also has a new starter ring.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

xomojo

Postby xomojo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I changed the clutch, new flywheel as well.. turns out its the transmission making the noise :(
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI

Return to “General Troubleshooting and Maintenance”