Unable to shift gears on a manual 2.3

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
hunglo512
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 isuzu pickup bodied on juice

Unable to shift gears on a manual 2.3

Postby hunglo512 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 pm

Hey guys! My wife’s 92 single cab is having some issues with not being able to change gears while it’s running. I was told it was a 2.3 motor and had been swapped with a 2.6 I was given a 2.6 transmission and had it installed with a new clutch/flywheel only to find out it won’t work. It won’t allow you to change gears when the truck is on. When the truck is off I can go in and out of any gear. I did some research and found that the motor I have in the truck is a freaking 2.3 and not a 2.6..... SO... I bought a 2.3 transmission and a blown 2.3 motor for a really good price! I am going to try and install it this Sunday with a friend. What do you guys think the problem is?? Hopefully it’s just the wrong transmission :roll:

gruff54

Re: New to Isuzu pups

Postby gruff54 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 am

You say 2.6 trans, so we'll assume you've got the MUA-5 trans with the hydraulic clutch. The MSG-5 that went behind the 2.3 had a cable clutch. The plate that goes between the trans and the engine block(don't know what it's called) is different between the 2.3 and the 2.6. The 2.3 is thinner than the 2.6 plate. Not sure of the exact thickness. If someone doesn't know, I'll see if i can find one to measure. Anyway, maybe they installed the wrong plate? Not sure if that would cause your problem, though. Those more knowledgeable than me hopefully will chime in.

Mike
'89 Trooper 2.6L-5 spd
'87 Trooper 2.6gas to 4jb1-t swap(in progress)

hunglo512

Re: Unable to shift gears on a manual 2.3

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks for the reply! Yea I forgot to mention that.. It is a trans for the 2.6 motor but has the cable for the 2.3 motor... it’s super weird. The clutch pedal will move the clutch for but never disengages the clutch to allow gear change when the truck is on.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:32 am

So please tell us if the cable clutch assembly was adapted to work the new transmission's clutch, or if it was replaced with a hydraulic one. If you're not sure, look under the hood, right by the brake booster. If you see a cable coming through, and it bends around, eventually leading to the transmission, it's cable. If you see a small master cylinder (like a miniature brake master cylinder, with a cap on it), it's been converted.

Seems like the MUA hydraulic clutch fork has to be "pushed", not "pulled", if I recall correctly.

Has it EVER worked? Does the clutch pedal have any resistance?

And by all means, you're better off troubleshooting this one that replacing it prematurely.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 am

The clutch pedal is another story. While I’ve been messing with it the big spring behind the pedal popped out. With it out the clutch pedal goes in and out, with that spring in it just sits on the floor... not sure what’s going on with that so I just left it out.

It is cable clutch. Not hydraulic. I’m assuming it doesn’t matter if the trans gears are being changed by cable or hydraulic. My buddy had the truck for 4 years and has always had trouble with shifting. He can’t find the guy who built it either. As you can tell I’m no mechanic :|

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

Ok, you're going to have to get your hands dirty at some point here. But this should be way easier than changing transmissions.
gruff54 wrote:The plate that goes between the trans and the engine block(don't know what it's called) is different between the 2.3 and the 2.6. The 2.3 is thinner than the 2.6 plate. Not sure of the exact thickness. If someone doesn't know, I'll see if i can find one to measure. Anyway, maybe they installed the wrong plate?
I have a hunch there's something wrong with the clutch setup, but It would be nice to know if this is going to be an issue after he verifies that the clutch cable is able to operate the release fork. Maybe someone can tell us what happens if the wrong plate is used...

It's tempting to suggest that you convert to a hydraulic setup, but I'd weigh the pros and cons.
Pros -
  • It's fully stock, and there are enough of them out there that people are familiar with it (it's really hard to remotely troubleshoot a user-fabricated system).
Cons -
  • You'd have to find the entire setup from a salvage yard.
  • Bleeding the lines can be a really frustrating exercise.
  • Hydraulic systems are (in my opinion) less reliable, more troublesome.
Did I forget anything?

Meanwhile, it's going to take two people to troubleshoot this. One in the cab, and one under the truck. The person in the cab should operate the clutch. The person underneath needs to find where the cable is connected to the back of the transmission bell housing, and look for movement, A photo of how it's connected would also be very helpful to us.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Here are pics of the set up
Attachments
F0AFB728-C451-4948-B69C-6477A216F138.jpeg
38F09E60-0858-4E33-8AB5-8EE7DAEF8BB8.jpeg
6101ECAA-E5E9-4B59-9802-C68DD11E30A9.jpeg

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Well there’s your problem (top pic). The cable is attached poorly and it sawed through the bracket. No wonder it doesn’t work!

It is going to need a better bracket and it may require a longer cable. A bend that tight is just asking for trouble. And the bracket really should be attached to the transmission, not the truck frame.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Lol it didn’t saw through the bracket. That was a quick fix someone did. It’s opened so the cable can slid through. Does anyone have a pic of this that is of a stock 2.3??

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

hunglo512 wrote:Lol it didn’t saw through the bracket. That was a quick fix someone did. It’s opened so the cable can slid through. Does anyone have a pic of this that is of a stock 2.3??

There is no "this" on a stock 2.3. That's because the stock 2.3 has the cable coming from the front, and it pulls the release arm. There's a hole on either the bell housing or the steel plate that fixes the cable in place. Even if you have that, your clutch is designed so that a piston in the slave cylinder presses (instead of pulls) the release arm. Your cable is looped around back so that it can pull the arm backward (or so it appears in the photo). Regardless, it can't pull unless the outer jacket of the cable if fixed in place. Yours does not appear to be fixed in place, so instead of pulling the release arm when the pedal is pressed, the whole cable just gets closer to the arm. That can't possibly work.

I'll see if I can locate a pic of how the stock cable is attached, but yours looks like it has to pull from the rear.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 pm

I understand what you are saying but it does pull the clutch arm out tho....

Darby

Postby Darby » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm

This is a stock 93 2.3 5 speed. Ignore the hole in the cable sheath. It's been replaced.
IMG_1494.JPG

The left side of the photo is the front of the truck.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Ok so in your photo the clutch fork is being pulled towards the front of the truck... hhhmmm with my current set up it pulls to the back lol. Ima slap in the 2.3 trans and new clutch tomorrow and I’ll let y’all know what happens. Thank you guys so much!

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:31 pm

hunglo512 wrote:I understand what you are saying but it does pull the clutch arm out tho....

It pulls forward (towards the motor). Yours needs to pull backward.

Jack

hunglo512

Postby hunglo512 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Why is that Jack??

Return to “General Troubleshooting and Maintenance”