Was a limited slip ever available?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
thetundrawolf

Was a limited slip ever available?

Postby thetundrawolf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi, so I have an 81 4x4 with the Gas motor. I pulled a lady in a Lexus out of a ditch an hour ago, and I had to put it in 4 low. I put the Trans back in 2 hi after pulling her out, and made a uturn. But as I turned, it sounded and felt like a tire was really dragging. Both tires were good. So I drove about a half mile at normal speeds when I heard a clunk from the rear end. It drove the same, but the next turn I made was without the two tires locked together.

I should also more that it several tries and spun tires multiple times, front and rear.
1981 Gasoline PUP manual trans, 4x4
With an alternator from GM, an e-fan from Volvo, and a radiator from a Toyota!

Awesomedude

Re: Was a limited slip ever available?

Postby Awesomedude » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm

They were an option, if I remember right they were mostly in the cars, geminis or I-marks. No parts are available for the smaller 10 bolt LSD anymore though, last time I asked Jerry he only had a housing. Definitely a rare thing in any p'up
1989 4wd Pickup, too many stupid little mods, quiet exhaust
1980 4wd LUV, The endless project
1984 VW GTI, racecar

thetundrawolf

Postby thetundrawolf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Awesomedude wrote:They were an option, if I remember right they were mostly in the cars, geminis or I-marks. No parts are available for the smaller 10 bolt LSD anymore though, last time I asked Jerry he only had a housing. Definitely a rare thing in any p'up

Aside from tearing it apart, how do I know if I have one installed?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 pm

They were never offered in the P'up. They were offered in the Turbo Impulse (with 3.90 gears), and in later Troopers with 4.55 gears. My Amigo has a .455 LSD rear from a Trooper. But I don't know of any way to do this in your 4wd P'up.

Jack

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm

"But I don't know of any way to do this in your 4wd P'up."
Find an LSD from an Impulse, remove the LSD carrier & 3.90 ring gear as well as your 4.10 open carrier & ring gear, separate the ring gears from the carriers & attach the LSD carrier to your ring gear, reinstall the pair into your 3rd member, shim the LSD carrier/4.10 ring gear combo until the tooth contact pattern is correct, reinstall the 3rd into your axle housing, fill with LSD lube & go.
OR: some 2wd '88-'95 2.6 powered pickups came with 4.10 geared LSD 12-bolts, if you found one of those you could swap the axle assembly in but it will be 4" wider than your current axle.
OR: US-built pickups '90-'94 had GM 10-bolts, 4.10 gears, swap one of those axles in & add a LSD carrier or locker. It too will be 4" wider.
OR: there is a way to install a Lokka/Aussie Locker into a rear Isuzu 10-bolt if you have the right thrust block. I'm currently pricing having some more fabricated.

"Aside from tearing it apart, how do I know if I have one installed?"
Raise both rear tires off the ground, tranny in neutral. Turn the driveshaft, if both tires turn opposite directions it's open carrier, the same direction the carrier is locked/LSD/welded.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 pm

oldestisuzuist wrote:"But I don't know of any way to do this in your 4wd P'up."
Find an LSD from an Impulse, remove the LSD carrier & 3.90 ring gear as well as your 4.10 open carrier & ring gear, separate the ring gears from the carriers & attach the LSD carrier to your ring gear, reinstall the pair into your 3rd member, shim the LSD carrier/4.10 ring gear combo until the tooth contact pattern is correct, reinstall the 3rd into your axle housing, fill with LSD lube & go.

Hmm. I wondered if that was an option. And remember, I'm still interested in that Impulse LSD that you have, too. ;)

Jack

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:29 pm

"I'm still interested in that Impulse LSD that you have, too."
I've about decided I'm not going to have time to do anything with it, so I need to either store it in an oil bath or ship it, & I don't have time to build a UPS- acceptable container. I e-mailed J5 a good bit back to see if he might be headed your way & could transport but haven't heard anything back.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

thetundrawolf

Postby thetundrawolf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:19 pm

OR: some 2wd '88-'95 2.6 powered pickups came with 4.10 geared LSD 12-bolts, if you found one of those you could swap the axle assembly in but it will be 4" wider than your current axle.
OR: US-built pickups '90-'94 had GM 10-bolts, 4.10 gears, swap one of those axles in & add a LSD carrier or locker. It too will be 4" wider.
OR: there is a way to install a Lokka/Aussie Locker into a rear Isuzu 10-bolt if you have the right thrust block. I'm currently pricing having some more fabricated.

Raise both rear tires off the ground, tranny in neutral. Turn the driveshaft, if both tires turn opposite directions it's open carrier, the same direction the carrier is locked/LSD/welded.

There questions, if may.

Why were the rear wheels locked and turning the same for a mile or two? It never did that before. I have not had the truck long though.

What was that clunking sound suddenly, and then both wheels were free? And how come it only happened when putting a load on the truck on pavement? I do not recall it ever locking up while offloading it.

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:

Hmm. I wondered if that was an option. And remember, I'm still interested in that Impulse LSD that you have, too. ;)

Jack

Jack: check your email
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 pm

oldestisuzuist wrote:"I'm still interested in that Impulse LSD that you have, too."
I've about decided I'm not going to have time to do anything with it, so I need to either store it in an oil bath or ship it, & I don't have time to build a UPS- acceptable container. I e-mailed J5 a good bit back to see if he might be headed your way & could transport but haven't heard anything back.

I'll email you.

And Dave (thetundrawolf), I apologize for the hijack. I hate when people do that. The discussion of the LSD was a continuation conversation that started on some other topic, and I should have gone back to it.

Thanks.
Jack

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 pm

UPDATE:
I just took the '89 Impulse LSD rear from the bucket I have had it stored in & noticed that it does not have a thrust block. This makes sense because the Impulse had rear disc brakes and disc rears on other models preload the axle bearing without the use of a thrust block, so I assume this one does also. What this means is that you must add a thrust block before using this carrier or the entire 3rd member in a drum brake rear. To add a thrust block the carrier with ring gear attached must be removed from the differential housing, then the ring gear separated from the carrier so that the pinion shaft can be removed, which should allow the thrust block to be inserted between the spider gears and the pinion shaft re-inserted through the thrust block. Then just re-install everything else in reverse order of removal. If you are swapping the LSD carrier to a different R&P ratio rear you will have everything but the pinion shaft removed during that process. 10-bolt fronts do not use a thrust block so the lack of one is normal.
No thrust block is a difference I was not aware of until today, but is something that needs to be dealt with if swapping the 10-bolt LSD carrier/3rd member to a drum rear axle.
You might confirm my assumptions with JLEMOND, but I just don't see any other way around it.

trooper T/diesel

Postby trooper T/diesel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:09 pm

thetundrawolf wrote:Hi, so I have an 81 4x4 with the Gas motor. I pulled a lady in a Lexus out of a ditch an hour ago, and I had to put it in 4 low. I put the Trans back in 2 hi after pulling her out, and made a uturn. But as I turned, it sounded and felt like a tire was really dragging. Both tires were good. So I drove about a half mile at normal speeds when I heard a clunk from the rear end. It drove the same, but the next turn I made was without the two tires locked together.
I should also more that it several tries and spun tires multiple times, front and rear.

is it auto or manual hubs :?: 81/82 pups are very common with autos and 81/82 LUVs where nearly 100% with manuals..

the tire skidding on the ground is likly a indacator it was still in 4wd as it was the bind up of having drive to bolth axles in a tight turn..not a LSD as no pup or LUV was sold with a LSD state side..

for auto hubs, you have to back up some after you put the T-case shifter in 2HI.
if you don't your front drive line will remain locked in and you can shift in and out of 4hi on the fly at lower speeds, untell you back up in 2HI and thus changing your hubs to what would be free mode in a manual hub...

the wheel bearing grease is the lube for the hubs and if its old and dry it can greatly affect the ease at which it can engage and disengage the hubs..

also if you have say 20% tred on one axle and near 100% on the other, even though all 4 are the same size. on pavement even if you take the shifter out it will stay locked in, and can make a real nasty sound around 30/45 mph when the gear teeth give way and pop apart from force.
this can also happen if you go to 2HI half way thru a hard turn.

SO IN SHORT, WHEN EVER POSSABLE TAKE IT OUT OF 4WD BEFORE YOU HIT TARMAC
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling