Manual steering gear grease

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Awesomedude

Manual steering gear grease

Postby Awesomedude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Finally got around to putting a new steering box in the luv machine, I would like to put some new grease in it but can't find any. My FSM says "no chassis grease" and to use GL-5 "steering gear grease". All the stores have are wheel bearing grease or white lithium. I don't even waste my time with the parts store morons anymore, can someone tell me what other kinds would be safe to use? Thanks
1989 4wd Pickup, too many stupid little mods, quiet exhaust
1980 4wd LUV, The endless project
1984 VW GTI, racecar

Darby

Re: Manual steering gear grease

Postby Darby » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:03 pm

I Googled GL-5 "steering gear grease and came up with this link.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... -90-(1-qt-)-mobil1_7070039-p
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:00 pm

GL-5 gear oil is differential lube. If the seals are old it may leak, even with 140w. I have heard that "corn head grease" will stay in, it's available from a John Deere dealer.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:56 pm

our mechanics at work use a Mobil red synthetic gear grease like stuff on the truck and trailer wheel bearings. They say it flows for liquid like when it gets warm. Guess they all do, but this just shy of a liquid to begin with.

It seems like I recall Jerry Lemond saying that they'd fill the manual steering gear boxes w/ something (gear oil??) so they'd steer like power steering.

Awesomedude

Postby Awesomedude » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:21 pm

oldestisuzuist wrote:GL-5 gear oil is differential lube.

I was wondering about that. I remember a thread here somewhere about someone putting grease in it and they had to shoot it in with a syringe or something like that. I searched but that can be a hit or miss most of the time. My seals are definitely not in the best of shape, this is just something to hold me over until I get all my sas stuff ready. I'll check out the corn head grease, there's a deere dealer right down the street. Thanks guys :mrgreen:
1989 4wd Pickup, too many stupid little mods, quiet exhaust
1980 4wd LUV, The endless project
1984 VW GTI, racecar