Preparing for Paint

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Preparing for Paint

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Now that the truck is in good shape mechanically, I'm trying to get it ready for paint before its birthday (September). The "new" bed has some superficial rust, and I'd like to eliminate or at least neutralize all of it. There are a couple of spots under the bed floor, around the wheel wells that are going to be hard to wire-brush. What's the best way to attack this?
bed_rust.jpg

Jack

phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Re: Preparing for Paint

Postby phil cottingham » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Jack, I think some tool rental places rent small sand blasters. That might be something to consider. Phil

FlukeGE

Postby FlukeGE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Jack,

I agree with Phil. If the rental place has a vacuum bead blaster it works even better. You wont have to buy as much media as well because it recycles most of it.

Ryan
1986 Trooper Gen III
1999 with 4JG2 Coversion

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 am

go to Eastwood .com and go to paints and coatings then click on rust solutions. I would not bother sandblasting. The products out now do such a great job of killing rust. It will do a better job than sandblasting. If you follow the procedure the rust will never come back. With sandblasting it never really kills the rust. If and rust is still there it will just come back. Then if you use rust converters or encapsulators they wont stick to sandblasted surfaces. Rust converters and encapsulators require the rust to stay in place in order for it to stick. Sandblasting is just too messy. If you were doing a frame off restoration like me, then it would be fine. When I sandblasted I used a water blaster ( check out luvcamas on youtube) I actually save some money and used a less expensive line of products. Jack give me a call tomorrow and I will give you more info, tt http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-27989.html http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rubber ... black.html
1986 turbo/diesel 4x4 SB in progress of a full frame off restoration
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB
:mrgreen:

Pupfocused

Postby Pupfocused » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Jack
When I had my 81 painted I did not have the front and rear glass removed and in a few years the clear coat started lifting around the rubber gasket of the glass. If I have another one painted I will have the glass removed.
Jim
1981 diesel pup(gone)
1985 4x4 diesel pup
1986 diesel trooper

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Pupfocused wrote:Jack
When I had my 81 painted I did not have the front and rear glass removed and in a few years the clear coat started lifting around the rubber gasket of the glass. If I have another one painted I will have the glass removed.
Jim
1981 diesel pup(gone)
1985 4x4 diesel pup
1986 diesel trooper

I can't afford that kind of painting. It would also require removal of door handles, window molding, wipers, everything. The shop tells me the clearcoat isn't a true clearcoat, but it's mixed in with the top coat.

Jack

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:56 am

That would be called a single stage paint. If it is a metallic color you are going with then it would be a lesser quality paint. Not bad paint ,just not as good. May only last a few years. If it is a urethane paint then that would be much better than a cheaper acrylic enamel. If you were mix up a gallon of paint the color sometime will only fill up a 1/3 of that can then they fill the rest with a clear. I think they call those binders. That would never be considered a clearcoat. The only paint that I can remember that had a true clear coat and was still was a single stage paint was a PPG product under the Delstar label. It was a product called starthane. After you painted the car the clears would rise to the top and the color would float to the bottom. I painted a few cars with that stuff. It was pretty cool . That was 25-30 years ago. It was only on the market a couple years.
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

luvcamas wrote:That would be called a single stage paint. If it is a metallic color you are going with then it would be a lesser quality paint. Not bad paint ,just not as good. May only last a few years.

Hmmm...reconsidering.

Jack

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 am

who is painting it and how much are they charging you? You going back with a 2 tone? I just painted my turbo truck last week and It cost me $600.00 for the paint. It is a PPG product called Omni ,it is a base coat clear coat. It was 290.00 for the gallon of paint and the rest was the reducers hardeners and the clear, and a 2 quarts of epoxy sealer. The deal is, you can spend more now and have it last a long time or use the cheap stuff and have it look bad in couple years. A lot of it has to do with the prep. Use good primers and sealers. Single stage vs 2 stage is not really the issue. Its the quality of paint. I painted the truck I sold last night with a cheap $100 a gallon acrylic enamel. It still looks alright but not where I would say" man I sure happy with that paint job" :roll: Now I painted my buddys 1970 formula firebird 8-9 years ago and it still looks brand new. I used a single stage non metallic urethane ppg product. Being non metallic I was able to color sand and buff it. You really can't do that to a single stage metallic. If it was me I would only charge a small extra charge to shoot the 2 stage paint. It takes longer. I would have to put 2 coats of base wait 20 minutes then shoot 3 coats of clear. single stage is just 3 coats and its done.
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am

I priced a total restoration-type paint job, and the shop told me they wouldn't even do it--but if they did, they'd get about $3,500 and would still lose money. They said they'd remove doors, waist molding, door panels, all trim, mirrors, front and back glass/gaskets, wipers, bed, lights, grille, bumpers, etc. etc. etc. They said if they just taped it off rather than removing it, the clear would come off. That's why they suggested a single-stage type of re-paint.

Now, I'm scratching my head. :roll: Limited budget.

Jack

phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Postby phil cottingham » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey Jack, Rollers are real cheap and you can get a gallon of rustoleum at walmart for about 35.00. That way you could afford to repaint every year or 2. haha Phil P.S. Don't forget latex it's water cleanup.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:25 pm

phil cottingham wrote:Hey Jack, Rollers are real cheap and you can get a gallon of rustoleum at walmart for about 35.00. That way you could afford to repaint every year or 2. haha Phil P.S. Don't forget latex it's water cleanup.

Thanks, Phil. :lol:

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm glad Phil said it, not me!! :lol: I thought it,though :oops: MY truck would have to be completely painted in inside & out with Rhino liner!

wylie's pup

Postby wylie's pup » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 pm

You have such a nice P'up and the fact that you bought it new....hope you find a way to do something like what Tracy is talking about.
1983 P'up Diesel 4x4 long bed 4 speed w/ air 211500 miles

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 am

DSC_0177.JPG
here is a sample of my new paint job. Base coat clear coat. Gem green a 2013 ford truck color. This is a picture of the bed side and the reflection of the surroundings. :mrgreen: I will put together some before and after and during pictures soon. I just want to do this right so I can out do my brother :wink:
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB