IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm 

I got the isuzu dealer repair manual, according to this book the valve lash is supposed to be adjusted quite often. Is this true? My 88 5spd ls spacecab has probably around 160K (speedo cable has been disconnected for a while, long story, getting fixed soon) im pretty sure its been years since valve clearance has been adjusted. Is this something i need to worry about or not? Btw the truck is lacking power a bit lately, tryin to narrow a few things down. Thanks in advance for any info.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 am 

It would be a good idea if it hasn't been adjusted in years. I just did mine (I checked them several months ago, and they started to rattle so I tightened em up last week). It might help with power, but just a little tiny itty bitty smidgen. You might want to check all the basic stuff, get some spark plugs, cap rotor, adjust timing idle, etc. All that can make a tremendous difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:09 pm 

thanks for the info. So u just tighten em down just a little tiny bit? No feeler gauges or finding tdc and whatnot?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:25 am 

There should be a process out lined in your manual, TDC is involved, and a feeler guage is recommended if you aren't good with "feeling" things, I'll type up how to do it later

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:45 pm 

Okay, here it goes.

Put your eng. In TDC for cyl. #4.

Adjust #4 In and ex
#3 In
#2 ex

Then put it at TDC for cyl #1

Adjust #1 in and ex
#2 in
#3 ex

A feeler guage .008 should slide Between the adjuster screw and Valve stem with a little drag. Make sure everything's all nice and tight when you put it back together (rocker brackets, jam nuts, and the valve cover nuts) If your gasket is cracked, go get a new one, they're cheap and use a little high tack gasket sealant NO RTV if you want to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm 

thanks im gonna have to check that out soon