amp probe

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
bthood
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Isuzu I-mark engine 1.8 liter diesel, 1987 PUP

amp probe

Postby bthood » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:41 pm

I am looking to buy a clap style amp probe for DC voltage. I know that there is a difference between AC voltage and DC voltage. When using a volt meter you have to manually change between ac volts and dc volts when measuring the different voltages. With an amp probe, is there a difference between DC amperage and AC amperage? should I look for a meter with a setting for DC voltage (will it have the flat sine wave like a DC voltage setting) ? or are all meters the same? Is amperage measured with the same meter won the same settings?
Brian

puttputtinpup

Re: amp probe

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:02 am

You're looking for a clamp meter that'll measure DC amps not just AC ?
I found a craftsman that does. It's not Fluke, but...
https://m.sears.com/craftsman-cm/p-A028382415

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:13 am

bthood wrote:I am looking to buy a clap style amp probe for DC voltage. I know that there is a difference between AC voltage and DC voltage. When using a volt meter you have to manually change between ac volts and dc volts when measuring the different voltages. With an amp probe, is there a difference between DC amperage and AC amperage? should I look for a meter with a setting for DC voltage (will it have the flat sine wave like a DC voltage setting) ? or are all meters the same? Is amperage measured with the same meter won the same settings?
Brian

Good questions. I love the clamp-on current meters because before we had them we needed to break into a circuit and connect an ammeter and then remove it when done.

There are clamp-on meters that measure AC current only. These are no good for automotive work. Then, there are clamp-on meters that will measure either AC or DC current. One of these probably is what you need. I have some that I like a lot. One is a Fluke model 36, not available new any more but used on ebay. This one will measure currents well over starting motor needs.

I also have one that measures smaller currents from about 10 ma up to 200 amps. Here is link to it on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-C ... Sw-jxewkcy

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:16 am

Paul, that looks like a nice meter. I like how the leads plug into the bottom edge.
I went downstairs and took this picture of the one I have. The 1st one I ordered, they sent me one that looks like this but didn't measure DC. Only AC. I hope you can read the model clearly. I like that this one also measures capacitor microfarads.
IMG_20210214_022444142.jpg

bthood

Postby bthood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:56 am

Thanks for verifying what I asked. I didn’t know if amperage (electric pressure) was measured with the same probe for AC as it is for DC. I will
Look for a probe that has the single strait sine wave for amperage.
Thanks!
Brian.

bthood

Postby bthood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:59 am

One more thing,
I’m guessing that mA is a mili amp and is used for small load consumption devices such as relays, injectors, and such correct?

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:28 pm

bthood wrote:One more thing,
I’m guessing that mA is a mili amp and is used for small load consumption devices such as relays, injectors, and such correct?

Yes, that is right. You won't run into ma loads very often in automobile work. But, sometimes.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.