1983 diesel 5 speed. No first gear

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Joeblack5
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 diesel 5 speed

1983 diesel 5 speed. No first gear

Postby Joeblack5 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 pm

I have not really driven this truck yet but it seems that all gears engage except 1 gear.
This truck was discarded after a farmhand could not get first gear engaged and found second gear to cumbersome.
Can this be something simple ..the stick can move to first gear position but no go. ..no bad noises.. in second gear the wheels spin. Third ,4,5 all seem to engage..

I red here that the later transmission are better. Saw some pics with starter on driver or passenger side. Is that an easy way of identifying if this is an original old style tranny or upgraded tranny?

Thank you,
Johan
Lada niva diesel..jeep pioneer 2.1 turbo diesel...mercedes GD240D....land rover 2.5D pickup.

puttputtinpup

Re: 1983 diesel 5 speed. No first gear

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:50 am

Johan, your symptoms aound like a very common problem found with the diesels.... sometimes gassers. The firewall sheet metal cracks right where the clutch cable goes through on drivers side. It flexes each time the clutch is pressed in and eventually cracks the metal. This then limits how far the pressure plate can back off of the clutch disk.

Have a helper press the pedal in and out as you pull away some insulation at the firewall around where the cable goes through near the master cyl. Check for cracks there.
Another not so common issue is detent balls & springs inside the top of the transmission. It work like this:
When the shifter is in one gear, the detents lock the other shift forks into olaxe to prevent them from moving. When you go bk to neutral, the detents unlock the shift forks so the driver is free to select any hear. Sometimes the.detents get stuck. There's a chance a shift fork itself is cracked or bent preventing the shift rod from pushing it all the way into gear. I'd see if it will go into 1st gear 1st by rocking the truck back & forth with engine off, clutch pedal out, and gently try to get it into 1st.
1st

Joeblack5

Postby Joeblack5 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Thank you..
So all the gears except 1 are working. Clutch works good. Firewall has been repaired at some moment..but not an issue now.
The lever moves to first gear but the car does not move..
So or the fork must be broken or it started sliding in the shaft..
I guess I have to remove the shift console and see if I can find a clue about what went wrong.

Johan
Lada niva diesel..jeep pioneer 2.1 turbo diesel...mercedes GD240D....land rover 2.5D pickup.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:47 pm

There's a slim chance the shifter itself is loose. Under the boot will expose either 2 or 3 bolts around the base of the shifter (depends on the particular transmission). Be sure those are tight. There are also 4 bolts I think that remove the shift tower from the transmission that might give you more access to see what going on...not 100% sure though.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Here is a thread about the diesel 5 speed upgrade. It has a few pictures of the inside of the transmission.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2615

Joeblack5

Postby Joeblack5 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Thank you, sorry for the late reply.. car accident on black ice / snow in brookeville ,pa. It will take a bit before I can get back to the pup. My gsd dog got trapped under the bus with her rear leg and she might need surgery.

Johan
Attachments
IMG_20201117_111208471.jpg
IMG_20201117_111413706_HDR.jpg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 am

Oh man! Sorry that happened! I hope your dog will be okay. Poor thing