81 gas 4x4 pup transmission oil capacity?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
thetundrawolf

81 gas 4x4 pup transmission oil capacity?

Postby thetundrawolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi, I noticed on a long drive today the transmission began to get noisy in 3rd gear. The speedometer cable but came loose and I assume maybe I leaked some fluid out.

I know how awful it is to get the filler bolt out so can someone tell me the engine oil capacity of the transmission so I can just add it via the shifter cavity?

Also is the transfer case separate, or does it share fluid with the transmission, and if so, what is the oil capacity of the transfer case?

Thank you! I can't find this information anywhere!
1981 Gasoline PUP manual trans, 4x4
With an alternator from GM, an e-fan from Volvo, and a radiator from a Toyota!

thetundrawolf

Re: 81 gas 4x4 pup transmission oil capacity?

Postby thetundrawolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I pulled the plug under the xfer case, about 3\4 quart came out, so I pulled the shifter and poured oil done there, and it came out the drain port so apparently they share the same oil? Anyway I put 1.75 quarts down the shifter and everything is smoother. I'll have to check and see if the rear seal is bad, or if it all leaked out through the speedo cable.

And then I took it for a 10 miles drive and released the fluid then installed another 1.75 quarts, sure enough what came out had grey swirls in it, but better to flush it out now than cry later. Also it seems like the oil is coming out of the transfer case side where the front axle drive shaft is? That's where it seems wettest?

thetundrawolf

Postby thetundrawolf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Okay, so, I removed the transmission skid plate and found it to be dented pretty bad, it was pressing up hard against the transfer case, creating a shiny, smooth spot where it wore against the plate. Hopefully I can post the picture.

I cleaned it up to see where the leaks could be, and it seems as if the truck is now ten times quieter, I think the skid plate was transmitting the engine vibrations into the cab very loudly. It also shifts much smoother, and reverse gear no longer grinds, every gear shifts much smoother.

I'm guessing this was the issue for my 79 luv 4x4 because it was unbearably loud in the cab of that truck, too. My truck is now so quiet I can barely hear the engine even on the highway.

I do however think I wore through the bottom of the transfer case as I saw what appears to be a drip from there, possibly two. I'll try and get pictures later. Failing finding a housing I will just jb weld the bottom and pound out the skid plate, cut the area that guards the xfer case out, and weld a plate on the bottom giving me a "hole" so it doesn't happen again.

Tl, Dr, if your 4x4 is very loud check your skid plate isn't rubbing on the xfer case.

thetundrawolf

Postby thetundrawolf » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am

I'm trying to pin down this leak, it seems to be coming from the top but not from the shift lever port, where is the breather tube? Where does it connect to the transmission?