I need help on setting my timing 94 Isuzu 2.3L pickup

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
JRc
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1994 Isuzu Pickup

I need help on setting my timing 94 Isuzu 2.3L pickup

Postby JRc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:07 pm

1994 Isuzu pick up/PUP how is everybody doing today I am having a bit of a problem with my pup it has a 2.3 L. I reset my valve clearance and after I have done that I have the truck running great at idle but when I drive down the road I can’t get my truck to go over 45 or 50 miles an hour I replaced a rocker arm that was damaged also replaced the mechanical fuel pump and every vacuum line was replaced has new EGR valve The spark plugs and plug wires rotor cap and rotor button. So I am thinking that with me pulling the old rocker arm out i ended up causing the truck to get out of time I could really use some tips on how to set the timing. —————————- I do not think that the camshaft timing is right I just really need to do some steps of what I should and shouldn’t do far as setting the timing

oldestisuzuist

Re: I need help on setting my timing 94 Isuzu 2.3L pickup

Postby oldestisuzuist » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 pm

PM me your email address, I have the FSM 4ZD1 2.3 engine section in PDF format- 4G & too big to attach here. It contains all the info on how to install the rockers & all three marks that need to align to get the engine to #4 TDC- which is what you need to time the engine. Read over the info, then ask specific questions, there are some shortcuts you can take since you aren't reassembling the complete engine.
Also I suggest you do a compression test, both dry & wet, & record. Then after performing all the timing procedure re-set the valve lash & check compression again. If you get less than desired results do a leakdown test if you have the capability- since you had damage to part of the valve train you may have head or valve damage, these tests will help diagnose.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.