88 trooper mysteries

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
TroopDawg
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1988 Isuzu trooper 2, 5 speed, itec 4ZE1

88 trooper mysteries

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 am

Before I ask for advise or explain my problem that I’m sure is already addressed in 1 of THOUSANDS of sub topics. I’d like to mention I am new to this forum and look forward to learning whatever I can and also passing forward whatever I happen to learn! I am mechanically inclined but lack all Isuzu knowledge? This is my first Trooper! There’s no such thing as a stupid question, but I’m sure I’ll prove that wrong here! I have searched all I can with only access to this site with a mobile device, so my eyes have grown tired enough for me to resolve to asking users directly. Thank you in advance for any help I receive, much respect for the guys who have this trooper remembered, it isn’t simple.

My trooper:

1988 Isuzu trooper, 5 speed, itec 4ze1, no power windows, sadly..... I’m in California

I bought this trooper for 300 bucks. Tires held air, interior is mint condition, and paperwork was clean! Deal right?

It takes a lot to discourage me but learning the “order of operation” on this vehicle is outstanding!

When I towed it home it obviously, didn’t start. It’s engine was COVERED in oil as if it were spilled on the valve cover then brought to the sand dunes. I couldn’t tell weather it was a leak or poor ownership. The battery cables were heavily corroded and the gas smelled like old boat. Water! the clutch line needs to be blead or repaired. last registered in 2013, my guess is, it’s been sitting for 5/6 years. I understand the procedure for restarting an old engine so that’s ok. But what I have read and learned so far has me stumped. Before I spend money I’ll go step by step from when I first put in the key in, to now..

1. I put a fresh battery in (excited and barely cleaning the terminals) leading to a nice cranking sound, but no start!

BUT...

2. The running lights would stay on even with the key out and the “light switch” in the off position.

3. If I would jiggle the key, the windshield wipers would turn off and on even though the “wiper switch” was in the off position. (Sometimes the wipers would activate despise the key being in or out if the battery was connected, the key would just aggrevate it more)

4. The oil gauge climbed well, but the fuel gauge would fade in and out while trying to crank over (still wasn’t sure if this is normal or not due to being a new Isuzu owner) but dint go un-noticed!

5. I checked for fuel and spark. Definite no spark, possible no fuel but not confirmed.

6. I put new spark plugs in, topped off the engine oil and put in fresh gas thinking the pump needed fresh fuel (wishful thinking).... still no spark

7. Though the clutch pedal was dead, it shifted fine into all of its gears, when I tried to start it in first gear (accidentally), it julted foward with great compression, almost hitting my other vehicle! I was able to confirm that the dizzy was spinning, and engine is free! Clutch is good! Cool!

8. Back in neutral!, no spark, clean gas, oil level is ok! now it’s time to start sourcing the issue!

9. Without a meter, I could only trace by eye what the problem could be, I looked at fuses and checked the basics with no find!, I’d did spot what looked like a spill above the ignition! It lead me to pulling the rear wire harness from the ignition Harness, some sort of coffee or syrup was ALL Ober the ignition, I ordered a new harness and it is currently installed now!

10. I’m not convince that was the only issue, so I haven’t even attempted to start it after reading and reading and reading! I took it upon myself to remove my “ignition control module” under the intake? To make it easy, I snipped the wire pair as close as I could leading to the module and pulled it up to the top of the block where the new one will be installed. The New one is on its way and will be installed ASAP!

11. Still not convinced! Still reading, something tells me this alternator could be the culprit, from how the lights and wipers were acting, it’s either low voltage, stuck relays, or the alty! But I’m not sure! It seems like One thing doesn’t work without the other and so on! That I have learned!

12. I’m still not going to try and start it after installing the module, I’m going to wait until I’m sure all ground wires are well grounded and all hot wires are well insulated!

13. While waiting for parts I have cleaned terminals and connections, replaced every vacuum line and oh yea, I removed the AC! It was empty, disconnected and in the way! I grew up with wing windows as a luxury, I’ll be ok without it!

14. What do I do with my idle control valve now that my AC is gone? Can I leagally remove it here in California? Should I even do that? All I removed was the ac lines, evaporator coil in front of the radiator, and the compressor! Are there any electrical components that should be removed or left in to keep other functions working?

15. What is the grey plug above the distributor and under the EGR valve? Black and white wire, zip tied to the fuel rail pointing down toward the ground? I can’t find where it leads to, am I missing a component?

16. What are the 2 orange wires under/around the battery area, slightly in front of the AC pump? one male, one female! Both exposed but taped away from eachother? It Could be one wire for u guys. Not sure if this is a splice option made by the previous owner.

17. What is the green wire in the same location? Under the battery platform , has a male connector at the end, no female companion in sight! Any ideas or experience on it?

Feel free to tell me what I’m doing wrong, thank you for read
Last edited by TroopDawg on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TroopDawg

Re: 88 trooper mysteries

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 am

My apologies for any spelling errors or confusion. I will be sure to make my next post easier to read!

TroopDawg

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

These are the parts I’m most concerned about and the roll they play in spark delivery and “order of operation”

Fuel pump! Symptoms and how to confirm?
Alternator! Symptoms?
Oil sensor switch (how it functions! Liquid contact? Pressure?)
Water temp sensor
Mass air flow sensor
Crank case position sensor
Relays, fuses, etc.

Am I missing anything? Is there another sensor that would keep the trooper from delivering spark?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Please don't take this as an "un-welcome", but Troopers aren't quite in our wheelhouse here. The absolute best resource on the planet for your Trooper is "the Planet" (the PlanetIsuzoo.com forum. I see you joined there, but haven't posted yet.

Jack

TroopDawg

Postby TroopDawg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm

I was starting to notice that, and thank you for confirming that for me! This will be my last trooper post. What’s weird is, I joined planet but it wouldn’t allow me to post. So I found this forum, and oddly, my planet profile login information worked for this site as well. Sorry about the post and thanks again

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 pm

TroopDawg wrote:I was starting to notice that, and thank you for confirming that for me! This will be my last trooper post. What’s weird is, I joined planet but it wouldn’t allow me to post. So I found this forum, and oddly, my planet profile login information worked for this site as well. Sorry about the post and thanks again

Don't worry about that. Post away here if you like. We do have plenty of troopers owners here too that might be able to help. It's just that you may be more likely to find an answer on the planetisuzoo.

1st thing I'd have done is presoak the engine in a degreaser like simple green then pressure wash it all off with a low power electric pressure washer. Then let it dry off well.

Re the electrical gremlin, I'd check all ground connections..head, block, body, etc. Clean em up good. Your switch might be bad too. Hard to say

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 pm

I agree with Andy. I just didn't want you to conclude that we're unfriendly if you didn't get quick answers.

And posting an Intro would be helpful, if you plan to keep posting.

Jack