valve cover problem

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
xomojo

valve cover problem

Postby xomojo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm

I've been chasing down this horrible rattle noise coming from the engine and I believe I may have found it under one of the metal plates mounted to the underside of the valve cover..
Anyone know how to get that plate off? there's no screws or bolts holding it on there so I'm not sure if its pressed on or what..
I'll try and post a pic soon...
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI

xomojo

Re: valve cover problem

Postby xomojo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:41 pm

whatever is under this plate making a racket
Attachments
20180203_010708[1].jpg
plate rattle
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:16 pm

I believe that's the rearward part of your valve cover....just to be sure, if you picked that cover up right now, off the bench, and shook it, would the rattle still be there? On my '87 2.3 carbed motor, my distributor drive is back there, and also the valve cover breather spigot to the air cleaner exits there. Don't know how your FI is configured for that, but maybe a piece of hose clamp found it's way in there?
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

xomojo

Postby xomojo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 am

yes thats the rear of the cover.. I actually think something broke inside that plate.. a few months back I adjusted the valves and when I was tightening the center valve cover bolt I heard and felt a TINK of something breaking, so when I developed a noise I took the valve cover off in search and when I tap it with something rubber I hear the rattle under that rear plate.. I'm not sure its possible to get the plate off so I'm headed to the junk yard today to try to find another valve cover, not sure what to do once I don't find one lol..
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Fer gosh sakes, that's pretty weird. I think those sheet-metal baffles are attached to the cover by peening over the little aluminum casting studs. How about grinding one or two off, with your trusty Dremel tool, just enough to bend back the baffle to shake that intruder out. It must be a sizeable chunk of debris. What's real interesting is exactly what critter is in there. I suppose these alloy valve covers are easy to warp, so I'd be careful not to bang on one too much (for when you return the metal baffle back to shape). That's pretty much my butcher-shop approach, anyway.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

xomojo

Postby xomojo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't think something fell in there so much as something broke loose in there.. not a bad idea on how to get in there though I was unsuccessful with the prying screwdriver technique..
Green 95 Pickup 2.3L FI