'92 Pickup - gas light stays on

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Seansean
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup

'92 Pickup - gas light stays on

Postby Seansean » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Not sure why but my gas light is on but I have gas anyone know the problem?
Last edited by JoeIsuzu on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited subject line

Quahlity
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup 2.3 carb

Re: '92 Pickup - gas light stays on

Postby Quahlity » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

Late response :)
There is a separate low fuel sensor in the fuel tank. They go bad, dirt, rust etc. As long as the fuel gauge works, you can disconnect or ignore it. Assuming you don't have some odd electrical short that's causing it, replacing the sending unit is the only option. You can test this by disconnecting the sending unit at the tank. If the low light goes out, the problem is on the sending unit. The connector is just past the fuel filter over the right rear tire. Replacing the sending unit will require dropping the tank to replace it. The sending unit can be found on Amazon and Aliexpress for under $40.

I had a bad sending unit, and the low fuel light also didn't work. Running the tank empty without either was interesting. Add to that that the fuel was extremely bad meant added fun for me. One of the screws that holds the sending unit in snapped off, which added even more fun. Okay, not fun at all, but having a working fuel gauge again was worth the pain.

Return to “General Troubleshooting and Maintenance”