tire size 4x4

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
jimbob

tire size 4x4

Postby jimbob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Has anyone tried 16 inch rims on a 4x4 if so what size tires

jasonw86

Re: tire size 4x4

Postby jasonw86 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

I think this question actually belongs under "Body and Suspension mods" which can be found here: /viewforum.php?f=16

Good question though, I have actually wondered this myself. Just haven't been curious enough to google it yet. :wink:
1984 diesel LS long bed 4x4
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed
1984 diesel 4x2 short bed MPG Plus
1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

Andys52Willys

Postby Andys52Willys » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 pm

I have photos of a 4x4 diesel pup I saw in Portland that had a 3" body lift on it, and was running 16" tires. I have a picture of the tire size somewhere, I want to say it was close to equivalent to 31", I think it was a 245/ /16. I can look it up if lifted is the route you are thinking.
1981 Chevrolet Luv 4WD Turbo Diesel Running a Greasecar WVO kit [now Goners]
Far to many Willys Jeeps and old Bicycles

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Sounds like you would need some pretty low profile 16" tires then to match the stock tire size. But yeah, if you come across those pics then post them up.
1984 diesel LS long bed 4x4
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed
1984 diesel 4x2 short bed MPG Plus
1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 am

Sorry about the wrong catagory. I am looking to get more top speed out of my diesel 4x4. Just hoped someone out there had tried some different combos and could give me some feedback.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 am

jasonw86 wrote:I think this question actually belongs under "Body and Suspension mods"...
jimbob wrote:Sorry about the wrong catagory.

Got it.

Jimbob, if you'd update your Signature (and Location), it will help. We couldn't tell if you were talking about a P'up, Pickup, Trooper, gas/diesel, or what (you later mentioned that it's diesel). If you need me to re-send the email with instructions, let me know.

Jack

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:22 pm

What diameter are your current tires? Take your truck, try to drive it up a roadbank or the like until one side of the front suspension is bottomed out (compressed) cycle the steering lock to lock while measuring the distance from the tire to the fender/body at the closest point- turned toward the bank will be closest at the back, away from the bank at the front. Add twice this distance to your current tire diameter, this sum will give you a max tire diameter that maybe won't rub without a lift of some type. It doesn't matter the diameter of the rim, it is the tire/rim combination diameter in conjuntion with the width & offset- wider rims & offset to the outside reduce turning clearance.
You can run some sizable tires on the rear as long as they are narrow & the rim offset is correct, the front clearance is the limiting factor, especially on a 4x4 where all tires must be the same diameter.
My guess is about 31" will be the max & may still rub some. If your stock tires are 28" going to 31" will give you about the same final drive as going to 3.73 gears with 28" tires.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

wiseguy

Postby wiseguy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 am

31 overall diameter sounds about right. What year make and model? I can look it up at work.
90 Isuzu Pickup Auto 2.6
(Donkey)

Eternal Sun

Postby Eternal Sun » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:42 am

These trucks can fit (I believe) up to a 265/75/R16 tire without wheel rub problems. (Currently running 31x10.5R15's)

Since you're looking for 16 inch rims, you've actually got more options when it comes to tires than me and my 15's.
(not sure how to properly punctuate for that, sorry lol) I'm assuming that you have essentially stock suspension and need to worry about rub problems, therefore;

I'm running 31x10.5R15 Destination AT tires, and I never ever have rub problems, even at full steering in the front on the trail and at full suspension flex in the rear. I can't say for sure that the larger tires I mentioned above won't rub ... but they're really not much bigger than the ones I currently have, and the research that I did when I purchased the 31 inch tires I've got now indicated that they shouldn't. Can't tell you for sure, but I definitely like having the bigger tire on my pickup. If you're lifted at all, it shouldn't be too much work to stuff some 32's up under your ride. Bigger tires are generally better, but - I'ma throw just a couple pros/cons at you real quick.

PROS
Mean you can toss more mud, pack more snow, and have more contact surface on the road for each wheel. More friction = more control. Definite plus in almost all driving situations;
unless you put yourself sideways on patchy snow/dry concrete ... DO NOT ATTEMPT.

They're generally rather taller, so you get more ground clearance without any suspension work. My truck has no lift, but is still relatively capable thanks to the bigger meats and general Isuzu indestructibility. Your final drive gear ratio also changes, slightly increasing your mpg's at speed/on the highway. (I dunno about you guys, but going fast and being on the highway are not mutually inclusive lol)

All Terrain (and non-cheapo truck tires in general) are built to take some abuse: I've put my right front in the curb at around 35 mph at a 45 degree angle and bounced off. Tire took it like a champ ... something like that can mess up a smaller tire/rim pretty bad. Felt nasty about it, but it's only happened once, the details make it a pretty funny story, and it's simply because those tires are not dedicated snow/ice tires.

CONS
Bigger tires (and bigger rims to mount them on) are generally heavier. A much larger, heavier tire is harder to turn, engine and trans have to work harder to get you going or to spin them fast enough to toss mud or snow. Less MPGs in the city and on the trail.

They're louder, and usually more difficult to balance properly. Unless you're willing to pay top dollar to the local flagship tire shop/warehouse, expect to fight with some vibration problems at higher (75+ mph) speeds... most tire techs seem to not try too hard to balance larger truck tires.

They put more stress on suspension/steering components. Because there's more tire and contact area, there's significantly more leverage to try to break important bits with on the trail.

They're more expensive. Higher quality tires don't come cheap, and those Destinations I've got are sort of middle-middle. If you're really going bigger on tire size, it's highly recommended you spring for the full-size spare, too - if you don't want to leave your baby on the side of the road (or in the middle of the trail) while you go get a patch or a new tire. Putting a seriously undersized, two-decade old spare on anything, even if it's just a mile or two (or ten out of the woods) begs for straight-up disaster, in a thousand different forms. Just Don't Do It.

My advice is do your homework, and stick towards the middle of the pack when it comes to size if you're going to be spending any significant time on the road. Even if you've got significantly more bucks than I do, usually $1000 spent on tires is something to mull over for a bit.

What here with the nasty rocky trails and the slick mountain mud and snow and ice and more snow, I tried to pick carefully when I was looking for new rubbers ... and I have to say, the Destination AT is a very good, if not excellent, tire for the money. Can go into more detail if requested, but I feel like this isn't quite the place for a product review.

Good Luck!

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 am

As I mentioned before--
We have no clue what vehicle he's driving. It seems premature to even try to answer his question until he tells us that.

Jack

getsomesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 86' TurboDiesel Spacecab 4x4 :D

Postby getsomesy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm

It sounds to me like your running 31x10.5x15r. What kind of rim offset back spacing do you have to make that work? Sounds like what I want.

I have a 82 4x4 diesel short bed st stock ride height that I am interested in putting larger tires on; wider and taller hopefully. I want the truck to run at power rpm down the highway, brake better, and do better on pothole infested roads. I'm pretty sure it's at stock ride height, I wouldn't mind having the springs a bit stiffer (ala torsion turn up) but I would like to keep the truck riding as low as possible while having larger tires.
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 N/A. 129K+ Rust free and running slowly.
Had a VW Caddy 1.6; wanted 4x4, bench seat, truck frame. - Behold the PUP new to me at 128k
Currently working on giving it the TLC that's been forgone and getting to know it.

Return to “Body and Suspension Mods”