Going down?

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
RaW
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 izusu pickup 2.3 liter 5 speed

Going down?

Postby RaW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:19 pm

I just recently installed lowering blocks between my axle and leaf springs. 3 inch drop. My u bolts set lower than the bottom of rim. I'm other words if I have a flat tire. The u bolts going to sit on the ground. It ain't going to move none if I have a flat .Not to mention tear my u bolts off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RaW

Re: Going down?

Postby RaW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 pm

RaW wrote:I just recently installed lowering blocks between my axle and leaf springs. 3 inch drop. My u bolts set lower than the bottom of rim. I'm other words if I have a flat tire. The u bolts going to sit on the ground. It ain't going to move none if I have a flat .Not to mention tear my u bolts off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20190815_195806.jpg

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 pm

RaW wrote:Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ANY advice?

Ok. Don't do that. ;)

:lol:

Jack

RaW

Postby RaW » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Yes that's what people say. But why not have fun with it. I not going too crazy. Just like it low and clean. Thanks for the advice. Lol

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:49 am

A couple of other problems that you're likely to run into:
- to lower the front T-bars enough to match the rear you will lose practically all front suspension compression making for an extremely harsh ride.
- with the front tires tucked into the fender opening the turning radius is greatly reduced or the tires rub the fender lip during turns. Camber alignment can also be a problem. The wider & taller & more negative offset the tire/wheel the worse the problem.
- you can lower enough that the distance between the tranny & differential is shortened so much that the driveshaft splined shaft is shoved into the tranny enough to contact a bearing, causing noise & eventual damage. The driveshaft must be shortened to cure.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

RaW

Postby RaW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 pm

So.. What do I need to do to fix? Maybe bigger rim. I have stock 14 now. My throw out bearing recently went out. Do u think it had something to with it. I wouldn't think. The bearing is in front of tranny near the engine. The guy at tire shop said I had enough room to put 16 inch rims. Both the front and back are 30 inches to fender. I adjusted the torsion bars 2 inches down. My camber is good on front. I don't see how it would hurt it. The back was higher than the front 1 inch before. And I still got room.
IMG_20190401_190930.jpg
8)

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 am

From the picture it appears you don't have it lowered enough nor are the tires/wheels large enough to present any of the potential problems I mentioned. A 2" t-bar crank will still leave some suspension travel, 3" is about the max that is practical for retaining any ride quality, 4" will put the suspension against the bump stops.
Larger diameter wheels will put the wheel rim lower in relation to the u-bolts/spring plate/shock mount, but will change the height by only half the wheel diameter increase, so a 16" wheel may not be enough. As long as you keep the tire diameter about the same you won't change ride height or increase fender interference, so you could use wheels even larger than 16's with the right tire.
Just a word of caution: larger diameter wheels with very small diameter tires can get very costly.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

RaW

Postby RaW » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

Thank u very much. I am new at this.