Hybrid questions

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
Chard10
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 isuzu pickup

Hybrid questions

Post by Chard10 »

I've been reading all the post and discussions on the 2.3 /2.6 hybrid motors and seems certain things have two opinions on and would like to get some clarification if I could. I have a 1996 2.6 from rodeo and a 1991 isuzu pickup with 2.3 and I want to combine the two now I've read that you use 2.6 head gasket all the 2.3 gears except 2.6 water pump and all 2.3 accessories. Also I'm confused on the cam, I read to use cam out of later rodeo which I have but I've read it's the same as the 2.3 so I'm wondering if I need the delta 260 or what I have with 2.6 valves? I want to run the Weber 32/36 carb and pacesetter 1125, and I'm understanding I need to keep egr valve functioning? Also do I need to worry about the crank hitting the 2.3 oil pan like I've read?
Chard10

Re: Hybrid questions

Post by Chard10 »

I've pulled both motors and will be posting pics as I go! I am really excited to see difference in hp gain this combo makes and want to doll the motor and engine bay up as much as I can by getting rid of smog and unnecessary vac lines and using the armpit coated headers
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

Armour coated
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Chard10 wrote:...the armpit coated headers
Chard10 wrote:Armour coated

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You had me wondering. ;)

Jack
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

Auto correct gotta love it
oldestisuzuist

Post by oldestisuzuist »

1. Use the 2.6 head gasket, the 2.3 gasket will overhang the cylinder bore.
2. Use either 2.6 or 2.3 timing components but use either exclusively, don't try to combine. Each engine timing set has a different belt pitch. The 2.6 also has a harmonic balancer that the 2.3 doesn't.
3. Use the 2.6 water pump and water pump pulley. The 2.6 water pump is longer than the 2.3 pump and the 2.6 pulley is offset to put the belts back into alignment. The impeller vanes on the 2.3 pump will rub the 2.6 block unless ground down enough to clear.
4. The later Rodeo cam supposedly has a slightly different profile that produces a bit more power. Pick a cam based upon how you intend to drive the truck.
5. The truck will run fine without the EGR functional, but it may not pass emissions. I know all the various sizes needed to plug off all emissions.
6. I think the crank hitting the oil pan is a problem only with trying to use a 2wd 2.3 pan. The 2.6 oil pan should work even if it's 4x4.
7. Pacesetter headers aren't "Armour coated", they're ceramic coated. The paint on the uncoated version will burn off in a huge cloud of stinky smoke within five minutes, then they start to rust. The ceramic coating supposedly only discolors somewhat.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

Thanks you for the info mine is 2wd and I'm not concerned about emissions just want to be able to lower my truck a few inches and save space with the 2.3 oil pan if possible and I want as much extra power I can get
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

I plan on driving it a good bit and want have it as reliable as possible and just want to dot all my i's before I jump in this build
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

Chard10 wrote:I plan on driving it a good bit and want have it as reliable as possible and just want to dot all my i's before I jump in this build
Attachments
IMG_0174.PNG
oldestisuzuist

Post by oldestisuzuist »

"Armor Coat" appears to be Pacesetter's name for their metallic ceramic coating.
"Armourcoat" is the trademarked name of an entirely different material.
The "Armor Coat" label must be a relatively recent thing, the last time I shopped for Pacesetter headers they just called it a ceramic coating & I knew for sure it wasn't "Armourcoat". Looks like I commented on something without having all the facts, sorry.

The only way to know for sure if the 2wd 2.3 pan will clear is to bolt it on & rotate the engine. If it does hit you can't swap the pan with the engine installed. Check the 4x4 2.6 pan against the 2wd 2.3 pan to see if the 4x4 pan hangs any lower. The 2.6 4x4 pan flares sideways at the sump, holds more oil & has a built-in skid plate on the bottom but may not be any deeper than the 2wd 2.3 pan. Whichever pan you wind up using you need to match the oil pickup & the dipstick to the pan.

For maximum power you need the 2.6 valves installed into the 2.3 head and an aftermarket cam with a profile to match your driving habits.
Before installing the head or the headers check the head-to-header port alignment. I had to do a good bit of grinding on both the head & header to port match. The exhaust manifold gasket is way too big to use as a port matching template

Make sure you address the clutch cable bracket that's built in or bolted to the 2.3 block near the bellhousing but is absent on the 2.6 block.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

Again thank you for the info I'm very glad to have knowledgeable people to assist in this build
Chard10

Post by Chard10 »

And I wasn't trying to prove you wrong just wanted to share new options!
hagasn
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 isuzu pickup 2WD 2.3 4DZ1 engine

Post by hagasn »

tons of info on here. i’m pulling the block out of my 94 2.6 amigo parts truck now. was this build ever finished?
i am the original owner of a 1991 isuzu 2WD pickup. the rebuilt motor was bored .040 over with a Calmini camshaft and gemini turbo kit with intercooler. power to the wheels is handled by a centerforce gold clutch.
hagasn
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 isuzu pickup 2WD 2.3 4DZ1 engine

Post by hagasn »

oldestisuzuest comments you’ll need the block and valves of the 2.6 installed on the 2.3 head for more power. wouldn’t you just stay with EFI pro cons? my 2.3 is a blow through turbo set up and i don’t feel the need to switch to EFI now but i have a 2.6 parts amigo that i need to move off a friends properly. so i have to pull parts soon and junk the rest. i’m seriously thinking about the hybrid mod.
i am the original owner of a 1991 isuzu 2WD pickup. the rebuilt motor was bored .040 over with a Calmini camshaft and gemini turbo kit with intercooler. power to the wheels is handled by a centerforce gold clutch.