IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 pm 

Howdy Gang,
so you may or may not have noticed that I’m doing some mods to my Pup. Figured I’d give you a little heads up as to what I’ve done so far. I’m finally able to start fixing her up thanks to the money I loaned Uncle Sam last year. These are mods that many here have done. I'm just pleased as punch that I've been able to do them on a shoestring budget and with a minimal amount of tools. Heck, I havent been under the hood this much since high school. Most of the work is done under the shade tree, sometimes nosed in the garage if there's room. Many busted knuckles, a little cursing and many strange looks from the neighboors.
So first I did the 2” static drop. That was already posted. Next, I tinkered with the exhaust but then decided to go with the Pacesetter. Going to install it tomorrow AM and use the existing 1-3/4” pipe until I decide on which muffler to use. I began prepping for its arrival by removing all of the air/smog pump/Cal. emissions stuff. Upgraded all the remaining vacuum lines. Many were cracked and hardened. Removed and plugged the backpressure transducer. Cut and crimped (more like smashed) the EGR pipe, both at the intake and at the exhaust (a HUGE shout out to “eddardh” for his instructions).
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13932&hilit=backpressure+transducer .

Yeah I know, probably a waste because the Weber is going to be ordered next week. But, it was something to do. I also took the flapper valve thing (technical term?) out of the air cleaner. Man that thing rattles like the dickens. Again, a waste once the Weber arrives.
I also relocated the coil. Fab'd it onto the battery tray. Why? I don't know... I just did. Got lots of time these days and I figured what the heck.

Lots of cleaning, sanding and painting as I go. I had to give myself a pat on the back for the shop vac hose extention I rigged just to get the pine needles out from around the fire wall.

Long way to go though. And thanks to all who have posted before me. Big help folks, big help.

Here's some pics.

Attachments:
File comment: Crimped EGR pipe
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG [ 680.44 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]
File comment: Coil relocation
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG [ 718.86 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]
File comment: The Pacesetter has arrived
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG [ 805.6 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm 

So it took a couple of days but the header is on. I had to alter the emergency brake and then I had to mod the header so it would clear the clutch arm. The real pain was figuring out what to do with exhaust pipe because the collective ends only 6" +/- dead center in front a one of the frame cross members. Flex Pipe!!! Removed the CAT. Currently running with no CAT or muffler. Not a very pretty sound. Took her out for a spin and it's ok. She's pretty loud. So off to a muffler shop tomorrow AM to see what they can do to help quiet her down. I would install a muffler myself but I don't have a welder. Looks like crap with all of the C clamps hanging down.
So I can't give you my 2 cents worth on the Pacesetter yet. The paint has already begun to burn off of it. Here's a pic.

Attachments:
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG [ 877.52 KiB | Viewed 2063 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm 

So yeah, I like the header. I had the local muffler guy do a 2" exhaust and a 20" Cherry bomb (new). No Cat. Very loud but getting use to it. Backfires under compression.
Put performance mods on hold till all the parts arrive. So I dug into the bed. After shopping around and looking at what folks called "mint condition" beds, I decided to grind/sand/primer my existing bed. Once paint is done in spring, I'm going to Line-X it. Yeah, I know but I still want it to be used as a truck.
Grant customs rollpan arrived. Pic looks rusty but it's just the reflection.

Attachments:
File comment: Lots of sanding.
IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG [ 596.26 KiB | Viewed 2002 times ]
File comment: Rollpan.
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG [ 707.19 KiB | Viewed 2002 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm 

awesome! i thought i was the only one.. until i found all the Isuzu owners here that are as passionate about the truck as myself:) drive safe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm 

Thanks Hagasn,
I'm really killing the old saying of "never fall in love with your car/truck." It's just so easy to work on.
Bent bumper mounts on the frame are keeping the front end work on hold. Big $$$'s. Need a frame shop for that. Should be done about mid March.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 pm 

Is that crankcase breather one of those little spectre filters? I've been looking for breathers for both my trucks and can't seem to find one that'll work the way I want

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm 

Awesomedude wrote:
Is that crankcase breather one of those little spectre filters? I've been looking for breathers for both my trucks and can't seem to find one that'll work the way I want

That's what I used on my 2.3 was the little spectre filter. I had to drill out the rubber hose it comes with though. It was a little too small a hole. And to Kendall124, could you tell a difference in performance with the pacesetter header?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 am 

92pupluv,
yes, it has more power in the mid range. Top end is the same with these little 1.9's. I'm looking forward to more low end torque once the Weber is on. Gotta make sure I swap out the winter treads on the back before that. Don't want to leave the rear end on the pavement. :lol:

Awesomedude,
yep, you guessed it. That's a Spectre. And I did just like 92pupluv did, I had to shave off a little bottom of the filter but instead of putting it right down the breather hole (I would have had to shave off too much) I used about and inch and a half of the old hose to put it in. Looks kinda silly but it works. It got rid of that old oil leaking hose. Definetly something I remembered from the old V8 days...

NEVER completly seal a crankcase!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

Nice work and thanks for sharing the info and pics here. Looks like you have a pretty nice little truck there.

1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm 

Thanks Jason,
working on the Pup is kinda like therapy. Been out of work for a while now. Back is sore and my hands hurt a bit but it keeps me sane.
So I put the MCV valve back on hoping it would help with the backfiring (I know it's not technically "backfiring" but I can't remember the term). No help. Took the MCV to Oriellys and they tried and tried but couldnt find it in their system.
Put the Grant rollpan on today. Shot it with the color I may be going with in the spring. Not bad. Not too impressed with the quality of the rollpan though but hey, we Isuzu folks take what we can get. Very little aftermarket for us.
God I'm dangerous when I have a paint can in my hand that has paint left in it...
(Note the aircleaner)

Attachments:
File comment: MCV
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG [ 644.44 KiB | Viewed 1959 times ]
File comment: Grant Rollpan.
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG [ 524.65 KiB | Viewed 1959 times ]
File comment: What! There was paint left in the can!
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG [ 849.98 KiB | Viewed 1959 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 am 

Truck is coming along nicely. I thought about putting a rollpan on mine, but i'm gonna put the chrome rear bumber on instead. Just gonna french it in closer to the body. Gotta be able to pull my boat around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:09 am 

You know I searched and searched. Found new front chrome bumpers with end caps but never found a rear chrome bumper. Well, I actually ordered one from an online parts company but they refunded my money 3 days later saying they didnt have the bumper :roll: .
I always thought that would look so clean. Always been a big fan of chrome anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 pm 

http://www.jcwhitney.com/custom-fit-per ... 137y1992j1

This is where I'm gonna get my chrome rear bumper for my isuzu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm 

Your pup is looking good Kendall, did you get the cherry bomb turbo?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm 

I did!!! But... it's kinda loud! :o I read that it'll calm down once it has a little carbon built up in it. The muffler guy who did the welding just gave me a funny look and asked, "are you sure?"
It sure backfires (after fires) like the dickens though. I'm going to get a timing light on it and have a look. I'm thinking maybe taking the EGR out of the loop wasnt such a good idea but...
Weber's going on soon! :D Waiting on the regulator and fittings.