Smog/Air pump removal... Before and after.

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
Kendall124

Smog/Air pump removal... Before and after.

Postby Kendall124 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Howdy Gang.
So first, a quick "thank you" for all of the info on this site. I'll sit and go through thread after thread finding out what to do and what's been done. Then I'll go pop the hood and, sure enough, just like they said it would be. I swear I have tools lying all around and my laptop sitting close by just in case I need to read the info again. Laptop's getting a little greasy.

Anyway, pulled the smog/air pump today. Piece of cake. I did the "crimp and put back in" method. Hell, 3 out of 4 of them were loose, almost completely out by themselves. After crimping it was tough to get them back in due to all the soot and carbon that was built up on the threads over the years. I thought I always had a manifold leak but turns out this is what I've been hearing. (That and the normal 1.9L lifter tick). Had to tweak the idle just a fuzz but that was it. Was very careful to torque the exhaust manifold bolts just a tad. I broke 2 heat shield bolts but no big deal. After reading all the posts, I'm dreaming of the Pacesetter header. (and the Weber… and the Offenhauser… and the Flowmaster… AND the….)

I also went ahead and pulled off the rotten muffler and replaced it with flex hose. I'm pretty sure it was the original. I turned it on end and I swear all its guts poured out on the pavement. The Honda tuner kid down the street gave me a resonator exhaust extension so I put that on just for kicks. Sounds pretty good. I'm amazed at how quiet it is in the cab. No more exhaust leak and I'm not sitting on top of that rotten old can. And yes, the CAT is still on. I'll deal with that when it's Pacesetter / Flowmaster time.

Here's some before and after pics. Note the radiator and the fan. Thanks again gang.
Attachments
IMG_0723.JPG
Before.
IMG_0724.JPG
After.
IMG_0720.JPG
Custom "one off" Flex Hose exhaust.
IMG_0719.JPG
Rotten old can.
1986 Lil' Blue 1.9L Turbo
1st place, "Mini-Truck" Division. Greenwood Auto Show. Seattle / 2013

hagasn

Re: Smog/Air pump removal... Before and after.

Postby hagasn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 am

nice! i removed mine over 17 years ago and my a/c stop working close to 10 years ago so i don't have a belt on the pulley. almost no engine drag :) an after market header would look nice under the hood.. just saying. drive safe
the original owner of my 91 Isuzu pickup. mods include Calmini header and camshaft, Weber 32/36 carb, Cherry Bomb muffler and a very tired Centerforce gold clutch.

tylerjp34

Postby tylerjp34 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:11 pm

I honestly wish I could remember the plugs that I bought to plug up the holes in the head. They were drain plugs from something entirely different that had the proper thread pitch and I had to turn down the flange on a lathe, but they work great and look a little nicer than cutting the tubes and crimping them, but at the end of the day that way is much easier than my way.

hagasn

Postby hagasn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

you can find them at a Lowes or Home depot near you. just bring that part in that you removed from the exhaust side of the head.
the original owner of my 91 Isuzu pickup. mods include Calmini header and camshaft, Weber 32/36 carb, Cherry Bomb muffler and a very tired Centerforce gold clutch.

Kendall124

Postby Kendall124 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah, I took one to the local Ace Hardware. I think it was a size 14 but the pitch they had were close but not close enough (1.25 & 1.50). They seem to be working for now. I think I'll loosen them and aim the crimped end down. I scratched the heck out of my arm on one today.
She sure runs better now. Long way to go though.

kristiferrandall

Postby kristiferrandall » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 pm

just go buy 1/4"npt plugs, i had 3 brass ones but need to find one more.

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 pm

The fittings at the head are 14mmx1.25, same as a spark plug. The EGR bung is a 22mmx1.5.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

hagasn

Postby hagasn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:46 am

yep, +1. the first set i purcased were steel which i found in the pluming section at Lowe's. about a year later i had one back its way out and had to purchase a replacement. this piece was brass, which looked really kewl. good luck. drive safe.

jaronow

Postby jaronow » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm

for anyone having issues with the plugs backing out down the road you need to take the fittings to the plumbing department, i did this when i removed the egr on my 300zx turbo and the plumbing plugs taper down and will fit like a glove and never back out. gotta love the fact ace still hires guys that know stuff

i'm in the process of pulling my smog/egr outta the 88 i just bought so it was nice to see the pics and basic sizes i would need to plug the holes, thanks guys.

in fact im off to pull the pump now while i wait for my new radiator

kristiferrandall

Postby kristiferrandall » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

hmmm the npt plugs that i have worked great, on everything on the truck

isuzuesque

Postby isuzuesque » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Kendall124,

Looks good, clean. I have looked at these pictures before but missed something. Dude, what happened to your fan? It looks about half its normal diameter. Like a crop duster that flew to low. Does it still cool well at low speeds?

John
1984 GMC S-15 Short Bed Pickup 2wd with Stock Isuzu 1.9L Gas Engine
4 speed manual, manual steering, manual brakes, original owner

Kendall124

Postby Kendall124 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Hooray!!! Someone noticed!!! :shock:

Yeah, a friend was driving the P'up and rear ended someone setting this whole rebuild in motion.

The radiator was shoved right up against the fan (see pic above). In order to get her to turn over, I had to cut about an inch off of the tips of the fan blades with some dikes. It was rubbing just enough to keep her from firing. Then, using starting fluid, she fired up and I got her home.

Twas a sad day lads.

That was 9 months ago.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14054&hilit=ouch

What's really cool about you bringing this up is I just put a new (used) fan on her this weekend. Found a guy about 30 miles south who had one off of a 79 Luv. Cleaned up real nice and fits good. Threw some Ford blue on her too. Same original radiator with a few solders. Holds water just fine. I had tried a couple of aftermarket fans from Oriellys but man they looked so deadly.

Thanks for noticing. And no, it didnt appear to effect my temps.
Attachments
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG

Return to “General Performance Mods & Upgrades”