IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:37 pm 

Howdy Gang.
So first, a quick "thank you" for all of the info on this site. I'll sit and go through thread after thread finding out what to do and what's been done. Then I'll go pop the hood and, sure enough, just like they said it would be. I swear I have tools lying all around and my laptop sitting close by just in case I need to read the info again. Laptop's getting a little greasy.

Anyway, pulled the smog/air pump today. Piece of cake. I did the "crimp and put back in" method. Hell, 3 out of 4 of them were loose, almost completely out by themselves. After crimping it was tough to get them back in due to all the soot and carbon that was built up on the threads over the years. I thought I always had a manifold leak but turns out this is what I've been hearing. (That and the normal 1.9L lifter tick). Had to tweak the idle just a fuzz but that was it. Was very careful to torque the exhaust manifold bolts just a tad. I broke 2 heat shield bolts but no big deal. After reading all the posts, I'm dreaming of the Pacesetter header. (and the Weber… and the Offenhauser… and the Flowmaster… AND the….)

I also went ahead and pulled off the rotten muffler and replaced it with flex hose. I'm pretty sure it was the original. I turned it on end and I swear all its guts poured out on the pavement. The Honda tuner kid down the street gave me a resonator exhaust extension so I put that on just for kicks. Sounds pretty good. I'm amazed at how quiet it is in the cab. No more exhaust leak and I'm not sitting on top of that rotten old can. And yes, the CAT is still on. I'll deal with that when it's Pacesetter / Flowmaster time.

Here's some before and after pics. Note the radiator and the fan. Thanks again gang.

Attachments:
File comment: Before.
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG [ 836.47 KiB | Viewed 1021 times ]
File comment: After.
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG [ 749.18 KiB | Viewed 1021 times ]
File comment: Custom "one off" Flex Hose exhaust.
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG [ 715.7 KiB | Viewed 1021 times ]
File comment: Rotten old can.
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG [ 960.21 KiB | Viewed 1021 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 pm 

nice! i removed mine over 17 years ago and my a/c stop working close to 10 years ago so i don't have a belt on the pulley. almost no engine drag :) an after market header would look nice under the hood.. just saying. drive safe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm 

I honestly wish I could remember the plugs that I bought to plug up the holes in the head. They were drain plugs from something entirely different that had the proper thread pitch and I had to turn down the flange on a lathe, but they work great and look a little nicer than cutting the tubes and crimping them, but at the end of the day that way is much easier than my way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:39 pm 

you can find them at a Lowes or Home depot near you. just bring that part in that you removed from the exhaust side of the head.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 pm 

Yeah, I took one to the local Ace Hardware. I think it was a size 14 but the pitch they had were close but not close enough (1.25 & 1.50). They seem to be working for now. I think I'll loosen them and aim the crimped end down. I scratched the heck out of my arm on one today.
She sure runs better now. Long way to go though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:21 pm 

just go buy 1/4"npt plugs, i had 3 brass ones but need to find one more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 pm 

The fittings at the head are 14mmx1.25, same as a spark plug. The EGR bung is a 22mmx1.5.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:46 am 

yep, +1. the first set i purcased were steel which i found in the pluming section at Lowe's. about a year later i had one back its way out and had to purchase a replacement. this piece was brass, which looked really kewl. good luck. drive safe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm 

for anyone having issues with the plugs backing out down the road you need to take the fittings to the plumbing department, i did this when i removed the egr on my 300zx turbo and the plumbing plugs taper down and will fit like a glove and never back out. gotta love the fact ace still hires guys that know stuff

i'm in the process of pulling my smog/egr outta the 88 i just bought so it was nice to see the pics and basic sizes i would need to plug the holes, thanks guys.

in fact im off to pull the pump now while i wait for my new radiator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm 

hmmm the npt plugs that i have worked great, on everything on the truck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:31 pm 

Kendall124,

Looks good, clean. I have looked at these pictures before but missed something. Dude, what happened to your fan? It looks about half its normal diameter. Like a crop duster that flew to low. Does it still cool well at low speeds?

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hooray!!! Someone noticed!!! :shock:

Yeah, a friend was driving the P'up and rear ended someone setting this whole rebuild in motion.

The radiator was shoved right up against the fan (see pic above). In order to get her to turn over, I had to cut about an inch off of the tips of the fan blades with some dikes. It was rubbing just enough to keep her from firing. Then, using starting fluid, she fired up and I got her home.

Twas a sad day lads.

That was 9 months ago.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14054&hilit=ouch

What's really cool about you bringing this up is I just put a new (used) fan on her this weekend. Found a guy about 30 miles south who had one off of a 79 Luv. Cleaned up real nice and fits good. Threw some Ford blue on her too. Same original radiator with a few solders. Holds water just fine. I had tried a couple of aftermarket fans from Oriellys but man they looked so deadly.

Thanks for noticing. And no, it didnt appear to effect my temps.

Attachments:
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG [ 581.45 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG [ 705.28 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]