Weber emissions questions

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
r3mix

Weber emissions questions

Postby r3mix » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 am

I live in a county with emissions testing, pretty close to what California requires if I understand correctly. I've only been in an area with emissions about eight months so I had a few questions.

I'm running the factory carb on my 1990 2.3L and passed emissions pretty easily. If I understand correctly, swapping to a Weber involves removing a lot of emissions control equipment.

I haven't found much information on this searching the forums, but how much would a Weber swap affect the emissions from my truck? Will I still be able to pass when I'm due for another test in two years?
1990 Isuzu Pickup 5 speed 2WD - All factory, 110k miles

mckay105

Re: Weber emissions questions

Postby mckay105 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 am

I didn't take out all my emission stuff. I dont have inspections so I dont know if itd pass. What weber are planning to go with?

Steve
94 2.3L Isuzu Pickup. Full exhaust Pacesetter ceramic header thrush muffler and 2" pipe, Weber 38, and a delta 272 caM. Super customized suspension, interior and everything else.

r3mix

Postby r3mix » Tue May 29, 2012 2:56 pm

I was planning to go with the 32/36.

It deletes the EGR at least, right? What about all the computer controlled stuff?
1990 Isuzu Pickup 5 speed 2WD - All factory, 110k miles

shooter

Postby shooter » Tue May 29, 2012 3:49 pm

It does away with all that. There are some webers / kits which claim (no first hand knowledge) to be emissions compliant for select year models of toyota. Don't know about isuzu. They (weber) pretty much state they're not emissions compliant. Minimally, you'll probably need the fuel shut off solenoid. If they don't lift your hood and only test "emissions", there's ways to legally past the tests. The ecm in your 90 model is very primitive therefore it doesn't take much to meet or exceed its emissions control/output. Do a little searching and you'll find what you need to do fuel wise, engine temperature, etc. One other thing to take note of is the weber is intentionally jetted rich. This alone will impact the emissions. About the only difference in your california emissions / federal emissions control is the california emissions vehicle has an exhaust temperature sensor feeding data to the ecm whereas the federal versions do not. There might also be a small difference in operating temperature idle speed (rpm).
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Return to “General Performance Mods & Upgrades”