89 2.3 Pickup Brake Upgrade

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
Awesomedude

Re: 89 2.3 Pickup Brake Upgrade

Post by Awesomedude »

Thats pretty cool! Does anybody know if the 2.3 and 2.6 4wd use the same front rotors? Isuzu did a lot of changes to the rodeos in the mid 90s. I need new rotors all around and if they are bigger I might just get some!
1989 4wd Pickup, too many stupid little mods, quiet exhaust
1980 4wd LUV, The endless project
1984 VW GTI, racecar
gb89amigo
Isuzu vehicle(s): '89 Amigo 2WD

Post by gb89amigo »

Awesome,

See: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat. ... t=all&vc=1 and go to the second page where you will find:
applicable to:

87-91 Trooper
88-95 Pup
89-93 Amigo
91-92 Rodeo (also later 2.6 2wd)

caliper, mounting bracket, dust shield & rotor donors:

92-02 Trooper, SLX, V6 only
93-01 Rodeo, Passport 4WD, V6 only
94 Amigo
98-01 Amigo, Rodeo Sport
99-01 VX
02 Axiom

*100% bolt up, no fitment hassles or modifications necessary*

1G and 2G+ calipers utilize same size pistons so shouldn't be any hydraulic issues. hoses mount in a different place but stock lines appear to be long genough. though I did mount up the longer ss braided lines from Indy4X at time of install so can't confirm that.

here is the caliper mounting brackets, early on right, later on left:

plain to see mounting holes on the knuckle side are same distance apart.

*big thanks to Sacramento_Phil for crawling under his 93 RS long long ago to measure the 2G bolt spread for me & confirm my suspicions.

you can see on the caliper mounting side it is fairly larger, as is the space for the pads:

I also installed the dust shields from the later brakes(thanks RobG), they are about 1/2" larger. after comparing side to side I'd say you could probably get away with using the stockers by bending back the lip & maybe trim a little for caliper opening:

the later rotors are almost a full 1/2 inch larger diameter and a bit thicker:

pictures don't do it justice, when the parts are in your hands its a big difference. the new rotors alone have almost as much heft as the stockers + inner hub/bearing assembly.

side by side with inner hubs:

in addition to larger rotors, the 2G+ brakes utilize pads that have more friction surface area. 1G and 2G compared as aligned by top edge:

normally I cheap out on budget pads but this time opted for a good ceramic compound to maximize my efforts. look to ebay, thrifty deals abound.

what I started with:

end result:

its been so long since I drove it with the stock brakes that I can't give any real comparison opinions. so far just been driving mellow and haven't needed to really stomp on it, everything feels normal.

but considering a late model Trooper weighs up to 1000 lbs more than a 1G, this should be more than adequate.
'89 Amigo XS 2.6L 5spd 2WD HC6
mckay105

Post by mckay105 »

Will this mod work with the early 94 p/u. I'd like to do it being I am running 20in wheels right now and would like the extra stopping power.

Thanks
94 2.3L Isuzu Pickup. Full exhaust Pacesetter ceramic header thrush muffler and 2" pipe, Weber 38, and a delta 272 caM. Super customized suspension, interior and everything else.
trooper T/diesel

Post by trooper T/diesel »

yea this is somthing ive been planning on doing to my import diesel canadate.

it will be a trooper in the 88\91 years.

pulling a load with those brakes would be very diffrent than what my 86 trop has.
plus the disc on the rear versus the drum on the 86
it will have way more woh power.
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling
2PO2WATCH

Post by 2PO2WATCH »

What's the difference in the calipers? Can I use them with my 5 lug 'Yota rotor swap? Any ideas if it would be worth it?
1990 Isuzu Pickup........Work in progress
1999 Dodge Ram 1500...DD
1957 Bel Air.................4.3L V6 Powered
mckay105

Post by mckay105 »

Im having to replace my front bearing so while in there Im planning to do the brake upgrade. Will these rotors work?

https://www.brakelabs.com/Isuzu_Rodeo_1 ... otors.aspx

Thanks,

Steve
94 2.3L Isuzu Pickup. Full exhaust Pacesetter ceramic header thrush muffler and 2" pipe, Weber 38, and a delta 272 caM. Super customized suspension, interior and everything else.
JLEMOND
Official Sensei, IsuzuPup Dōjō

Post by JLEMOND »

mckay105 wrote:Im having to replace my front bearing so while in there Im planning to do the brake upgrade. Will these rotors work?

https://www.brakelabs.com/Isuzu_Rodeo_1 ... otors.aspx

Thanks,

Steve

STEVE , THOSE BRAKE ROTORS WILL BOLT RIGHT ON TO YOUR HUBS, BE SURE AND CLEAN THE MOUNTING SURFACE WHERE THE HUB TOUCHES THE ROTOR , SO IT DOESNT GET ANY RUST IN BETWEEN, DANG IF I COULD GET A DOLLAR EACH FROM EACH PERSON THAT HAS DID THAT SWAP, SINCE I DID THE FIRST ONE IN 92 ON TO MY 89 TROOPER , I COULD BUY ME A NEW TRUCK. HAHA JERRY
mckay105

Post by mckay105 »

Jerry,

Thanks a million for your response! I was waiting on the reply to buy them.This site has been awesome. Do you know where I can buy the cap that goes onto the hub to protect the bearing and keep grease in them? Im looking forever and cant find them.

Thanks a ton

Steve
mckay105

Post by mckay105 »

Just got the calipers and brackets from a 96 3.2 V6 Trooper. I hope that they work. They are a lot bigger than stock. I don't know if it was an slx though. Anybody know if it is ok that it was a v6 trooper but not slx. What an slx look like?
trooper T/diesel

Post by trooper T/diesel »

Isuzu had a deal with Honda.

they sold the rodeo as the Honda passport, and the trooper as a SLX under the Acura brand name.
its what i call a trooper in a fancy dress :lol: :lol:

other than different paint colors, seats, trim etc its the same ride....
Attachments
1927599.jpg
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling
JLEMOND
Official Sensei, IsuzuPup Dōjō

Post by JLEMOND »

mckay105 wrote:Just got the calipers and brackets from a 96 3.2 V6 Trooper. I hope that they work. They are a lot bigger than stock. I don't know if it was an slx though. Anybody know if it is ok that it was a v6 trooper but not slx. What an slx look like?

THE TROOPER BRAKES FROM THE 96 WILL ALL BOLT RIGHT ON TO YOUR FRT SPINDLES, , YOU WILL NEED TO USE YOUR HUBS THOUGH SEEING AS IT IS A 2WD , OTHER THAN THAT BE SURE YOU WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS INCASE OF A QUICK STOP, IT WILL FLAT PUT THE BINDER ON A 2WD PICKUP.
mckay105

Post by mckay105 »

I did this mod the other day but never cam back and posted about it. It turned out very nice. I ended up doign everything brand new slotted rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, and pads. After I went to the junkyard I came back and let the calipers soak in Kerosine to clean them, wrong thing to do. It messed up my seals and so I decided on brand new calipers after that. Ireally liek how the slotted rotors look and how the truck stops now. Just think that this whole mod started out because I had to replace a wheel bearing and since I was right there I might as well do the brake upgrade. Ill post pics later. Thaks for all the help from this forum or I would not have been able to do it.

Thanks,

Steve
hagasn
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 isuzu pickup 2WD 2.3 4DZ1 engine

Post by hagasn »

great information now I just need some inspiration
i am the original owner of a 1991 isuzu 2WD pickup. the rebuilt motor was bored .040 over with a Calmini camshaft and gemini turbo kit with intercooler. power to the wheels is handled by a centerforce gold clutch.