Retrofit cruise control

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
jer

Retrofit cruise control

Post by jer »

Has anyone ever tried to take cruise control off a trooper II or a pickup and installed it on a pup?
`82 LUV 4x4 c223t 5speed, a/c, ps, pb, 3" lift

`84 P’up c223 wvo conversion needing frame transplant
lawson_nate

Re: Retrofit cruise control

Post by lawson_nate »

Don't know about the Trooper setup BUT...

The '86 pickup I just picked up has what looks like a universal cruise control setup. The original paperwork shows that it was installed just after the original owner bought the truck. Not sure if it still works since I am still working on the bad transmission, but everything all looks still hooked up... (it's the air canister looking thing next to the coolant/PS containers)
20210515_214616.jpg
20210515_214647.jpg
'84 P'up 4x4 Diesel LS (SSB - Super Short Bed)
https://youtu.be/7K1FLos3xRA
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Retrofit cruise control

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Nate's looks like mine. They were sold under at least a dozen brands, with most or all components made by Dana Automotive. It's a pretty good setup if you can figure out a good way to connect to the diesel throttle arm in a way that doesn't constantly bend the ORIGINAL throttle cable. That will eventually break the throttle cable (it broke mine). The Trooper's factory cruise control actually connects to the accelerator pedal rather than the throttle arm.

Jack