Changing my 82 luv 2x4 to 4x4

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
82 luv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Chevy luv diesel

Changing my 82 luv 2x4 to 4x4

Post by 82 luv »

How hard is it to change a 2x4 to 4x4 with a person with really no mechanic experience really? Would I have to grab the transmission, differential and other the other parts I don’t know of off the same year truck as mine or can I just buy one new?
puttputtinpup

Re: Changing my 82 luv 2x4 to 4x4

Post by puttputtinpup »

82 luv wrote:How hard is it to change a 2x4 to 4x4 with a person with really no mechanic experience really? Would I have to grab the transmission, differential and other the other parts I don’t know of off the same year truck as mine or can I just buy one new?

My personal take is just to find a 4x4 truck either running amd use it for your 4x4 needs or one without an engine. If doing an engine swap, the diesel would need to be fitted with new oil pump parts, and an oil pan designed to clear the front axle. All this would be a challenge for even someone with mechanical experience.

I'll let someone else chime with their thoughts.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

You'd really need a 4x4 rolling frame and drive train, and swap your body onto it.

It's not a cost-effective modification unless you got the 4x2 and the 4x4 pretty cheap.

Jack
ZUZUFLY

Post by ZUZUFLY »

The front end brackets that attach everything are different between the 2x4 and 4x4, in other words they just won't "bolt up". Welding would be required.
82 luv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Chevy luv diesel

Post by 82 luv »

JoeIsuzu wrote:You'd really need a 4x4 rolling frame and drive train, and swap your body onto it.

It's not a cost-effective modification unless you got the 4x2 and the 4x4 pretty cheap.

Jack

What kind of oil should I use to change my transmission fluid