TRANSMISSION

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
brad smith
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1990 4wd pickup and 1994 isuzu 2wd pickup

TRANSMISSION

Post by brad smith »

IF THIS IS THE WRONG PLACE FOR THIS LET ME KNOW. THANKS
I HAVE A ENGINE AND TRANS FROM A DONOR TRUCK, IM DISASSEMBLING IT.. IM HAVIN TROUBLE GETTING THE TRANS LOOSE FROM THE BLOCK, I HAVE ALL BOLTS REMOVED, I HAVE A GAP AT THE TOP WHERE THE PEGS ARE AT, BUT THE BOTTOM IS STILL TOGETHER . WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO? I CAN TELL THAT ITS RUSTY INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING
THANKS AGAIN
brad smith

Re: TRANSMISSION

Post by brad smith »

2.3 CARB 5 SPEED
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

There's a small cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing. I think it's held on by six 9mm bolts. It has to cime off, or the flywheel won't clear. This little cover plate has frustrated many an owner. ;)

Jack
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

JoeIsuzu wrote:There's a small cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing. I think it's held on by six 9mm bolts. It has to cime off, or the flywheel won't clear. This little cover plate has frustrated many an owner. ;)

Jack

I know the diesel has that forsaken plate. He has a 2.3, so it likely has some sort of plate there. Can't say for sure
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

If you have removed the plate, provided there is one, and it still won't come loose, ON MY DIESEL, I've take a bottle jack at the rear of the transmission mount, a block of wood between engine head and firewall to hold the engine, amd jack up pressure on transmission to open up a gap.
I've pulled 1 gas engine and didn't have that much trouble getting them apart
brad smith

Post by brad smith »

ILL SEND OR POST SOME PICS. I CAN SEE THE THE ACCESS HOLE I CAN SEE THE FLYWHEEL GREAT ITS RUSTED FOR SURE. UNLESS THE PLATE IS ON THE INSIDE I DONT SEE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THANKS I HAVE THE ENGINE AND TRANS ALL OUT HAVE IT ON THE SHOP FLOOR. SO MY PRYING IS LIMITED. LOL
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

The plate is on the bottom front of the bell housing. It is about 1.5-2 inches tall, and maybe 6-8 inches wide. If you don't remember taking it off, that's most likely your problem.

Jack
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

See this post, the plate is the top picture.
viewtopic.php?p=34708#p34710

Jack
brad smith

Post by brad smith »

Thanks for the info. I should have clarified that my truck is a 94 model. Mine doesn’t have that plate. How do I go about posting pics here?
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Post by JoeIsuzu »

Brad,

If it's the MSG5 (2wd) transmission and a 2.3 engine, it should have the plate -- If it doesn't, you can see the flywheel from underneath the engine. I've pulled a few of these in salvage yards, I I know they have the plate.

If it's the MUA5-T (4wd), I don't know if it has the plate.

To post pictures, they need to be on the computer or phone you're posting with. You have to be in "Full Editor" mode (not "Quick reply"). Scroll down to the attachments section and add files (photos).

Jack
brad smith

Post by brad smith »

Thanks for the help. I’m sorry I’m so stupid!
Attachments
Transmission
Transmission
Transmission
Transmission
gruff54

Post by gruff54 »

My guess is the pilot bushing hanging up on the trans input shaft? I'd say everything is unbolted, otherwise I don't think you'd have gotten it as far apart as you have. I think I'd get a buddy to help and try prying with 2 or 3 pry bars at one time, spaced equally. Try to keep the input shaft and crankshaft in line so it pulls straight off, not cocked to one side or the other. With the combo sitting on the floor, it may very well be in a twist or bind. I wouldn't go caveman, either, as I'd be afraid I'd break the bellhousing or block. hth

Mike
'89 Trooper 2.6L-5 spd
'87 Trooper 2.6gas to 4jb1-t swap(in progress)
puttputtinpup

Post by puttputtinpup »

gruff54 wrote:My guess is the pilot bushing hanging up on the trans input shaft? I'd say everything is unbolted, otherwise I don't think you'd have gotten it as far apart as you have. I think I'd get a buddy to help and try prying with 2 or 3 pry bars at one time, spaced equally. Try to keep the input shaft and crankshaft in line so it pulls straight off, not cocked to one side or the other. With the combo sitting on the floor, it may very well be in a twist or bind. I wouldn't go caveman, either, as I'd be afraid I'd break the bellhousing or block. hth

Mike
I agree. You don't want to break off any chuncks of bellhousing casting either.
brad smith

Post by brad smith »

THANK YALL ILL LET YALL KNOW THE OUT COME
Red Truck

Post by Red Truck »

Here's a thought: Did the clutch work normally before the teardown? I'm thinking that a failed release bearing has friction-welded itself to either the pressure plate fingers, or to the release lever. The upper picture shows just about what the throw-distance of the release lever would be. If so, how to get that critter outta there is another story. Can the pressure plate bolts be accessed, etc...regards!
'87 Isuzu p'up 4ZD1/2.3 gas, carb'd, 5spd, 4WD, base model, Fed spec