IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm 

Hey guys I have a 92 isuzu pickup with a carb 2.3L 4cyl motor which I would like to know if possible for me to swap the 2.3 out for a gm 4.3 v6 motor out a gm jimmy 1998 . I have the complte gm truck so would like to know if possible n what would I need? Also can I use my 5 speed tranny n rear on 4.3 swap. I really need help since am new to this. Thanks in advance for ur help n info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm 

I have seen them online with the 4.3. I think it would be a pretty easy swap. Are you going to use the fuel injection and all? I think it would be pretty awesome, and should run like crazy. You could prolly use the tranny, but you are prolly gonna have to install bucket seats...not sure how far back the shifter mounts. And for the rear end, it may be too wide. If it is anywhere near close on the width, it would be fairly straightforward. Both vehicles use leaf springs under the axle. But you might consider leaving the isuzu rear end in it...it has 4.10 gears...compared to 3.08 or 3.42 in the jimmy. But the Jimmy could be disc brake rear.....

ROb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 am 

My first thoughts were that the physical fit and mounting would be the easy part - depending on who you ask, anything's possible :D
Most swaps like this that I've read about usually include the complete running gear for compatibility reasons. You'll have to have the driveline customized if the wheelbase is different.

The problem I see is running the electronics for the 4.3, which I'm sure would be easier than getting it to run off a carb... but still seems like a pretty difficult undertaking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 pm 

If I do decide on going with the 4.3 swap yeah am using the fuel injector system. Don't really want carb. I was wondering if I would be able or even worth usng my isuzu 5 speed tranny. Also wondering if worst comes to worst what other swap can I do that's gonna give me more of a push the motor already in it? Thanks again guys for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm 

The Vortech V6 swap is extremely popular, especially with Jeep guys. The stuff is more than available and very easy to come up with for this swap. Not sure on the fuel flow capabilities, but you might could even use the fuel tank and sending unit out of a 2.6 Isuzu for the fuel supply. It is a swap I am extremely interested in doing myself...I just wish someone would guinea pig it for me :)

ROb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:29 pm 

Lol. Am wishing my self to find someone that has already done it, so I can get good info on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:00 pm 

I found one on Cardomain with a 4.3 in it. Carb motor. I will try to go back and look again and see if I can find it again.

ROb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm 

Hey guys, its been a while since last post. Am still looking for info on fuel inj 4.3 swap. Don't wanna start on it till I have all right info on swap.
Ok so far my questions been;
- can I use my isuzu 5 speed tranny?
-can I use my rear end?
I haven't been able to find any info on these 2 questions. Not too worried about fuel pump because I think it would be smart choice to replace with stronger- atleast I think so.
I also know I would have to fabricate the mounts and most likely add some type of bracket for tranny mount. N also know that would have to sent drive shaft to get cut if able to use my isuzu tranny. If u guys have any more info or wanna throw in some pointers please do. Thanks for the info already given. Oh I also wanna put pics of my pickup but don't know how to if anyone can help with that to lol. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 pm 

Tranny: NO, it won't bolt up to anything but an Isuzu 4 cyl. TH350 or 700R4 is easiest- and most popular.
Rear end: YES, it's about the same strength as the GM 7.5" 10-bolt that's in your donor Jimmy, then fab the drivshaft to match the tranny on one end and the rear end on the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 pm 

Thanks oldest. Very thankfull for ur info. From what vehicle can I get 1 of those tranny from? I have no clue lol. Is the th350 and the 700r4 both auto trans? I would like to stay 5 speed so what can I use?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:02 am 

You best bet would probably be a BW T-5, they came in S-10s with the 4.3 engine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:33 am 

Ok cool thanks again. I guess ill have to start looking for that trans. Once I get trans I can start pulling motor out doner vehicle. I know I been asking question about my project n u guys prob wondering what my pickup looking like lol, I been trying to post pics but don't know how . If anyone can help with that 2 would b cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 am 

hey 92isuzupup, i am plannin on doing the same thing with my pup, but im doin mine into a prerunner/baja truck and i want to keep it 5 speed as well...let me know how it all goes...my 2.3l carb engine just doesnt cut it at 55mph uphills lol..i will end up supercharging the 4.3 for desert racing and what not hough.

thanks,
Derek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 am 

If you have a parts vehicle, can't you use the transmission out of the parts truck?

ROb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 am 

anyone know of anyone whos selling a 4.3l in AZ?