What a weekend!..

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
89rebelpup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1989 Standard cab swb 2.3l (carb)

What a weekend!..

Postby 89rebelpup » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello pup and pickup friends!

Well where do I start?.. Saturday (03/09/19) at about 8am I pulled my 1989 pickup into a borrowed garage to start what was supposed to be just a valve cover gasket replacement and hooking up an fpr that in preparation for my weber 32/36 conversion. Now I had all the pieces and parts to go full carb swap but I wasn't certain I'd feel all that froggy.
Well ..it turned out I apparently felt very froggy because about 12 hours later I had the new plumbing (with gauge) and fpr installed, an hour and a half parts run later for a new mechanical fuel pump and an hour or so of wrestling with two nuts and washers through a wheel well and around an AC and power steering pump I had it installed. I had the factory carb removed, some of the various vacuum lines plugged/capped, mating surfaces cleaned and the redline weber sitting hand tightened in place but nothing yet attached or adjusted.
Sunday am, I missed my weekly worship and fellowship with my church family in the attempt to making my daily driver roadworthy again by Monday morning. I was ok with it because I know my Lord understood, loves me and forgives me for such absences (and hopefully a few cuss words in auto repair aggravation) besides I was certain that He was also with me in the garage under the hood of Blue as much as with my brothers and sisters in our church sanctuary...anyway so... whatever.

So after about 2 or 3 more hours Sunday morning I finished my redline weber install after many prayers, praising of His name, some creative throttle linkage fabrication, aforementioned cuss words (and their apologies).. I had the battery cleaned up and reinstalled, gave the fpr and fuel pump installs a quick mental inventory and then with everything hooked up and everything double checked, my extra parts and tools removed from under the hood and the truck lowered I turned the key. Once the pump, lines, inline filter and fpr primed the truck fired right up!

Before I continue.. and I will because it is not proving to be trouble free and I have questions and need help... are there any questions, comments...concerns? lol..

Reb

puttputtinpup

Re: What a weekend!..

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:55 pm

We totally understand it whenever your "mule falls into the ditch" on the Sabbath! ;)

89rebelpup

Postby 89rebelpup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:23 pm

LoL.. well thanks for that!

So now in the aftermath of that killer weekend I'm still experiencing unfavorable operating conditions. I've learned largely in part to.. you might have guessed it.. Human error!... :oops:
More like stupidity really, so much so I hesitate to even own up to it. Partially caused by putting too much trust in the manufacturer and/or the vendor and that the product (the redline weber conversion kit k697) would be fully intact.. But that would just boil down to being an excuse really.
Let's just say such a kit can be installed and function (albeit poorly) if you install only two of three gaskets normally required. :roll:

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm

"and the engine arises from the dead after the 3rd gasket" glad it's running okay now

89rebelpup

Postby 89rebelpup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:20 pm

No... though I wish it were running okay now.. waiting to hear back from partsgeek customer service, who's waiting for the manufacturer or supplier.. Saturday am I will probably disassemble, make my own carb gasket and install it then reassemble... AND I may as well do my valve cover gasket because I know it's leaking and there's no sense in trying to set the carb up with any vacuum and valve cover leaks.