Beware webercarbsdirect.com

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
Dartheyeball

Beware webercarbsdirect.com

Postby Dartheyeball » Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 pm

I recently bought a Weber 32/36 from webercarbsdirect.com. It seemed to be a good price and the site really looked like they were an authorized Weber dealer. Needless to say, I discovered my carb was a knock off when I called Redline to get some replacement jets. They asked me some basic info on my carb and then I was informed that it was not a genuine Weber. I did call webercarbsdirect and they assured me that, that wasn't true. Needless to say, I am having some issues with my carb, and have already begun looking for an authentic Weber 32/36 to replace it with. Since I want to turbo my truck, I definitely don't want any issues with a substandard carb.

I've included a link that I found that was better at explaining this than I.

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

It was an expensive lesson, but I'm glad I learned it before I progressed further with my turbo build.
YMMV
1994 Isuzu Pickup 2.3L w/156k 5 speed manual.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Beware webercarbsdirect.com

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu May 21, 2015 5:16 pm

I've seen similar stories on the LUVTruck.com forum. Thanks for sharing this, and I"m making it "sticky" at least for a while.

Jack

Dartheyeball

Postby Dartheyeball » Thu May 21, 2015 8:02 pm

I just wanted to prevent other people from going through the same thing and wasting their time and hard earned money. Of course if I wanted a Weber branded Solex carb sourced from the US or China, then this would be my place. I believe instead of a 32/36, I actually got sold a 34/34 according to the two Weber reps I talked to. In the short time that I have had my carb, the throttle linkage has started to randomly stick and the fast idle mechanism seems to be coming apart. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks!

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 pm

There's mountains of cheap Chinese knock-off products coming into the US (and other countries) every day. Car parts, food, clothing, household items, etc, etc. Kinda scary.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

hagasn

Postby hagasn » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 am

hmm.. I had the same issue with my Weber. I just removed the fast idle linkage. the Weber looked authentic boxed up and brand new when delivered. they actually sell a bearing for the throttle linkage some where online to fix this problem it must be a common issue
i am the original owner of a 91 Isuzu pickup. the rebuilt motor was bored .040 over with a Calmini camshaft and gemini turbo kit with intercooler. power to the wheels is handled by a centerforce gold clutch.

lindemannt

Postby lindemannt » Fri May 29, 2015 2:10 pm

It's really easy to tell if it doesn't have made in Spain cast into the body of carb it's a knockoff. A sticker that says weber it's a fake.
1994 reg/cab 2.3 5speed 100,000 miles

hagasn

Postby hagasn » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:35 am

i took the chance to install new throttle shaft bearings. pretty straight forward. the action seems smoother
Attachments
image.jpeg
i am the original owner of a 91 Isuzu pickup. the rebuilt motor was bored .040 over with a Calmini camshaft and gemini turbo kit with intercooler. power to the wheels is handled by a centerforce gold clutch.

Dartheyeball

Postby Dartheyeball » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:31 pm

I installed the same kit on the second weber 32/36 that I bought. Performance was much better and my truck runs so much better.

hagasn

Postby hagasn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:14 am

I lost the throttle shaft nut "showing off" after work. make sure you use you some loctite when installing this nut. just saying.

Mjsluv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 78 luv 200k+ orig. miles weber header w/2 1/2" custom exhaust slammed

Postby Mjsluv » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:19 am

I looked up weber carbs on Wikipedia and they plainly state the north american distributors, one of such, peirce manifolds is who i ordered mine from through amazon, a little pricey but im sure it will be worth it in a couple days when i get it, i cant wait! Replacing the 40 year old original hitachi, it finally quit.

Mjsluv
Isuzu vehicle(s): 78 luv 200k+ orig. miles weber header w/2 1/2" custom exhaust slammed

Postby Mjsluv » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 pm

if anybody cares, i got my weber 38/38, had to use a spacer to get the backwards fuel inlet to clear the thermo housing, but runs awsome, found out the plug my dad made 20+ years ago for the air pump vacuum port on the manifold had rotted and was a huge vac leak, so the original carb is still good except the secondaries never opened, lol. a little tuning and my truck rips now!, time for the gear bump (s10 rearend)