IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:12 am 

Hello every one. Please post any questions about "tuning our C223 diesel engine". We will try to answer them.

crossbones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm 

CRossbones can you rebuild my injectors??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:14 am 

Hello Nate. Yes, I am now setup to fix injectors. What I am doing is replacing the nozzles with brand new nozzles and setting the pop off pressures up. The price is $125.00 per set of four and this includes new sealing washers and the freight to you. You would be responsible for the freight cost coming to me. We can do this two ways, you can send me to old injectors and then I will send out the "new set" or I can send out the "new set" first. I would need to "charge" a core deposit of $50.00 additional which will be refunded on receiving the old injectors.

I have pay pal or check is fine,
James
919 698 6613

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm 

Crossbones , Thank you for your injector services, they look great and they changed the way my truck sounds, I think that they had never been out before. She has 275k on her.
Now I have come to a 'now what' scenario and have done lots of reading , heres where I am at..
Running on diesel for all tuning
Injectors set properly
Valves adjusted
New timing belt
500 miles on fuel, air, and oil filters
Original exhaust
Air intake system is pieced together because of rodent damage. I tried to mimic the stock setup with other things around my garage, I took the square air box out do to a hole being chewed in it(its possably repairable).How important is the exact shape of this system compared to he importance of overall length of the system.I cant remember the number of inches its supposed to be exactly.
CSD has not worked since I bought the truck. I have had to hold the pedal down a bit for a minute for my cold starts. CSD is still in place as a whole unit.
I don't have a temp. gun , tachometer , a dial indicater or an extensive diesel knowledge.
My first impression of the sound with the properly set injectors was that it sounded like it was popping a little harder at idle. When I drove it though I started freaking out a little bit climbing a hill nearby , it just seemed too noisy like I had a lifter ticking when the rpm's went up.
After a bunch of reading I wonder if my bad CSD is keeping my timing from advancing at higher rpm's and to me disabling the CSD would be my next step on path to super tuning. On the other hand I keep eyeballing the injection pump and get tempted to adjust it..I don't know whether its ever been moved.
I have an injection pump on the shelf with a CSD on it that looks like it has never leaked but from what I have read it is all but impossible to replace a CSD while the pump is on the truck,and why would I swap them if they go bad like they do?
I am going to test for a set of balanced glow plugs to get started.
Whats next?
Thank you , nate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 pm 

Hello Nate. ok, the intake snorkel length is the important part........it needs to be about 52" long......this helps with low rpm reversion sound pulses in the intake...(better flow)........now do a little thinking here........if you live in a colder climate. plan your "new snorkel" with as much length as close to the radiator as possible........

Now, the fact that you now are having a crisp "diesel rattle" is a very good thing and the fact that I can now hear it at higher rpms is also a good thing..............now in theory, we should hear the same diesel rattle at all rpms with any kind of fuel (provided with have tuned for that fuel), but our IP's are limited to proper timing advance at about 22-2500 rpm's.

The Next thing is you do not change a thing until you do a glow plug reading ( balance them out).........if you start with a balanced set of glow plugs, then you can even adjust the intake snorkel length with a basis for better or worse...........

Ok, after the engine is hot, turn the engine off, crank with out many rpm's, take a reading at idle, then rev the engine up a few times above about 1800 rpms, then let it idle, the readings should now be lower than the first reading if the CSD is working.

lets us know your readings :)
crossbones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:14 am 

James,
Snorkle length... something I am now curious about.

I have an 81 PuP and i removed the box and hoses for the intake. Wanted some more room in the engine compartment.

Did I mess up by doing this??

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 am 

Eric, the answer is maybe..........when trying to get a engine in "perfect tune" you work with all of the tuneable parts to get the best performance you can. Isuzu went to a lot of trouble to work out the factory length of the snorkel on all of the diesels.
crossbones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 am 

Wow,
I had no idea. My thought (wrong?) was a shorted length intake would allow the engine to breath more easily.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm 

I have some glow plug readings. To get my glow plugs balanced I ended up using 3 old ones and 1 new one. It was 45f today and I'm not sure about my idle as far as a number but I have it set low but without shaking, so not too low. All readings are from a hot engine. At hot start up the readings slowly go up to the numbers below, after revving the numbers settle on their reading fast.

cylinder at startup after revving
#1-----------2.1-----------1.6
#2-----------2.1 ----------1.7
#3-----------2.4-----------1.9
#4-----------2.4-----------1.9
With the bus bar hooked backup to all four
-------------2.3------------1.8

I thought since the numbers went down with the bus bar installed maybe my ground changed a little for some reason. Not sure. I was grounded to one of the valve cover bolts and I'm using a Gardner Bender multimeter with a new battery with some longer leads on it for later . So it appears to me the CSD is working as it has an effect on the GP readings,but not working enough to keep the motor running on cold starts in cold weather. I'm going to measure my snorkle . Thanks for the help
nate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:47 am 

Nate, thankls for posting your GP values.
Regarding the Snorkle.
Is it the length, the shape or a combination of both that should be"tuned".
Eric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:20 am 

Nate, good job! The first thing I would like to address is about the cold engine not staying running. I am going to include information that is general to all climates (cold or hot climates) so think about your ambit temperature to pick out what you should do. A good idle speed is critical in keeping the cold engine running as well as the glow plugs. Keep in mind that on our trucks after the engine starts the glow plugs should no longer be getting current. This is where it gets a "little tricky" to think through. At this point (no current to the glow plug) the glow plug is a major factor in firing the cylinder. It is heating it's self from the last firing of the cylinder. If the intake air is very cold, it can cool the glow plug to the point that is is not helping the cylinder fire and the engine then begins to miss fire and run ruff. A simple thing to do is to turn the engine off, re glow the plugs and then hold the key switch in the crank position with the truck in gear with the clutch out for a additional 15 seconds. This gets the glow plugs and the chamber pretty hot and it should then run without any miss firing. Now, the combination of the idle speed, glow plug temperature and the intake air temperature needs to be addressed. At this point all we have to work with is the idle speed, so we adjust it by "ear" until the engine is running smoothly for Your Winter Temperatures.

Nate, have you checked your fast idle to see if it is working?

Glow plug readings: 1.8 reading at idle is pretty good :) now, you need to get a reading on flat ground (very constant speed)at 55 MPH in fifth or 45 in fourth.. theses are the readings that you want to work with.......the objective is to get the lowest reading at high way speed........readings under 1.5 are excellent...............

please keep updating your findings,
crossbones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am 

Eric, the Langley reports only reported on the length of the snorkel, that being said, I know that the box has a affect, to what degree I do not know on the intake side of a "free breathing engine". On the exhaust side of the engine the "box" is very tuneable.
crossbones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 am 

Yes I have adjusted the fast idle a little bit, and I am glad you asked. I went through the procedure as described in the service manual to set the fast idle . The process to set it according to the manual said to unplug the two vacuum hoses to the 'vacuum switch valve' on the drivers fender and put a 4mm pipe between the two vacuum lines and then make your adjustments. When I put the pipe in the vacuum hoses the fast idle jumps right up like it should. So with this information I assume that my 'vacuum switch valve' is not letting enough vacuum through to operate the fast idle properly. The 'vacuum switch valve' lets a little vacuum through , enough to move the rod on the fast idle a small amount. I plan to test the power to the two wires going to the 'vacuum switch valve' in order to narrow down the search for a cure. I'm not sure where the power comes from to operate the 'vacuum switch valve', we'll see..Oh and my snorkle is about 44" right now ,it probably needs some sealing around the joints. I will get more glow plug readings soon. FWIW I rechecked my valve lash just to be sure because of the clackitty rattle when I step on the throttle. I'll fill the tank today too and start getting mpg numbers too. Thanks for the input,
nate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am 

Can you post a photo of your snorkel set up?

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 pm 

Sore subject brother , I put my camera in the cloths washing machine last week and for some reason it won't work anymore :oops: .I'll try to get my brothers camera and snap a pic. I am so mad at myself about putting it in the laundry I probably won't justify buying another for at least 1 year, I bought the camera on september 1 so I got 5 months out of it :evil: :evil: :? :lol: :cry:
nate