IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:34 am 

Truck starts right up and idles/accelerates as it should, until it warms for about 5 minutes. After that it races at mid-range RPM. Doesn't respond to throttle, unless its to accelerate more, and then it goes back to mid range RPM's. I can release clutch, at the same time I hold the brake, and it idles well, for about two seconds. and then it's back to racing. Adjustment screws, and throttle cables don't respond for me. Any clues? Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:42 am 

Something may be leaking oil into somewhere that makes into your head, so after 5 minutes it warms up? Then something may be expanding and allowing oil to pass it, weither it's the head gasket, valve stem seals, or just PFM, but i beleive your getting oil bypassing something. Does your truck puff out blue smoke when you first crank it up?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:53 am 

Yes, there's some blue smoke at start up, and then it goes away about the time it starts racing. Where would I look to correct oil leak problem? Thanks Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm 

Try some lucus oil stablizer (maybe half the bottle) to see if it quits spitting out blue smoke at startup and doesn't race as soon. If that helps it may just be your valve stem seals, how many miles are on your truck? What sort of condition was the truck in when you got it?

OH, and try pulling the wire off the fuel cutoff solenoid to see if it shuts off or does anything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm 

Finalman wrote:
Try some lucus oil stablizer (maybe half the bottle) to see if it quits spitting out blue smoke at startup and doesn't race as soon. If that helps it may just be your valve stem seals, how many miles are on your truck? What sort of condition was the truck in when you got it?

OH, and try pulling the wire off the fuel cutoff solenoid to see if it shuts off or does anything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:43 pm 

REALLY appreciate the feedback. I am hopeful. Will try all, & let you know. Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:50 pm 

Truck has 131,000 miles. gets good MPG. Has misbehaved ever since i got it a year ago, but stopped driving it, since I didn't want to damage clutch, by braking with the clutch out to slow the engine. What is PFM? Thanks again - Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:00 pm 

belizecraig wrote:
Truck has 131,000 miles. gets good MPG. Has misbehaved ever since i got it a year ago, but stopped driving it, since I didn't want to damage clutch, by braking with the clutch out to slow the engine. What is PFM? Thanks again - Craig

PFM is a nuke term we use, it's "Pure Friggin' Magic", usually when we're taught some new formula to come up with an answer, sometimes we'll ask how they come up with it, or why a number is the value it is they'll just say PFM...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:27 pm 

something simple you may try is disconnect the cold start mechanism,i know the unit on mine makes it run really fast,just disconnect the vacuum line that runs down to your injector pump,see what happens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 am 

Is the engine oil over full?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:42 am 

Another 2 cents. Look at the ends of your vacuum lines and see if they are cracked or on tight. If any look bad replace them. I had trouble with my idle but it was just the opposite; fast idle for two minutes then down to almost nothing. Replacing the vacuum lines has fix it. Just make sure you do them one at a time so you don't get them mixed up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am 

belizecraig wrote:
Truck starts right up and idles/accelerates as it should, until it warms for about 5 minutes. After that it races at mid-range RPM. Doesn't respond to throttle, unless its to accelerate more, and then it goes back to mid range RPM's. I can release clutch, at the same time I hold the brake, and it idles well, for about two seconds. and then it's back to racing. Adjustment screws, and throttle cables don't respond for me. Any clues? Craig

You ought to check for air in the fuel before anything else. All the internal pump controls are hydraulic and go nuts if any air gets into the fuel line. Bad throttle response, inability to shut-off, wierd over-revving can all happen from air in the lines.

Try hooking a gravity-feel fuel source to the pump and see if it straightens out. Or, hook a clear-plastic fuel line somewhere in the engine compartment so if there's air - you can see it.

85 Isuzu 4WD diesel PUP, (2) 81 diesel Chevettes, (2) 91 diesel Volks Jettas,(22) Chevy 6.2 diesel Blazers/trucks/Suburbans, 85 Ford 6.9 diesel truck, 94 Ford 7.3 TD truck, 92 Dodge 5.9 TB diesel truck - over 20 diesel backhoes, tractors, dozers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:11 pm 

make sure the fuel screw is not turned in to far, has anyone been trying to get more power out of it? ron