IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:31 am 

I just got done building the glow plug timer circuit for a client's 1984 Blazer. It works like a dream. I employed the original relays and glow plug lights, but the actual controller someone by-passed, which led to the quick destruction of the glow plugs. With the use of one general purpose transistor (ECG 210) two resistors and one capacitor used as the discharge controller, the relay stays on for 9 seconds precisely, after pressing the momentary contact button.
I modified this circuit to make it hold the relay on for 9 seconds. I ditched the diode, and the Darlington pair transistors in favor of a single NPN ECG 210. The button is in between the 12volt supply and (I switched the 47k ohm with a 33k ohm resistor.) I used a 10k resistor is instead a 47k
This is Jerry's diagram of how the Isuzu can be modified
This diagram was found on a Mitsubishi Pajero forum, Shows very well how the glow plug circuit is supposed to work. However this uses a 555 timer chip and I wanted a simpler circuit. Mine has 4 parts.
I hope you find this helpful.
Thanks go out to Jerry Lemond for his input.
Brian Rodgers

my web site http://outfitnm.com/ biodiesel, axial flux wind turbine, no worries, no ads

Last edited by boss on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:42 am 

DID YOU TIE IT INTO JERRY`S DIAGRAM OR DOES IT BYPASS HIS SYSTEM? ALITTLE MORE DETAIL ON HOW YOU HOOKED IT UP FOR US OLD FOLKS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Last edited by fconnaly on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 am 

I guess I should have posted this in the proper section, maybe Jack will move this over to the "Mods" section.
fconnaly wrote:
DID YOU TIE IT INTO JERRY`S DIAGRAM OR DOES IT BYPASS HIS SYSTEM? ALITTLE MORE DETAIL ON HOW YOU HOOKED IT UP FOR US OLD FOLKS WOULD NE APPRECIATED.
Watch out now, you are talking to a senior citizen too.
Now what was the question? Oh yeah I just pasted it above...
This particular circuit went into a 1984 Blazer. So yeah, I used Jerry's diagram for reference, to understand how glow plug circuits in general worked.
However this timer can be insinuated in any glow plug circuit before the manual relay. If you suspect the glow plugs are being left on too long and burning out prematurely.
At least I think it will work in there. Let me look at Jerry's drawing again...
I don't know... This drawing shows a circuit which is activated by the starter relay, with this the timer will be powered constantly instead of momentarily. It would stay on for 9 seconds after the power is removed.
This doesn't mean we couldn't work around this issue.
Brian Rodgers

my web site http://outfitnm.com/ biodiesel, axial flux wind turbine, no worries, no ads