Strange turbo problems

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
robgt22
Isuzu vehicle(s): 95 honda passport, c223 swap. 01 trooper, 4jg2 swap

Strange turbo problems

Postby robgt22 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:03 pm

The turbo on the trooper started to act weird... I was driving her after replacing the head and suddenly I could hear like the turbo was making contact with one of the housings, drove it home slowly and removed the intake, the compressor looks ok, it has no play, and it sounds like it’s the turbine which is actually touching the housing. Does this makes sense? Is something I could check before removing the turbo?
95 Honda passport with a c223 swap. Garrett gt1749, 15 psi of boost. Straighpiped and intercooled. 2” lift, ball joint flip, 1 1/2” diff drop. 33x12.5 R15 tires, 12000 pound winch.

01 Trooper with a 4jg2 swap

FiatSpider2

Re: Strange turbo problems

Postby FiatSpider2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Did you get the oil line hooked back up to the bearing on the turbo and does it have good flow? You can cook and gall the bearings pretty fast without a good oil flow and it can make a heck of a racket before it seizes up.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am

Is it an used turbo from the yunk yard?

If so, did you rebuilt it?

If you did not rebuilt the turbo It's probably you oil cocking on the turbine side because the oil rings are already bad and they are leaking oil pass the rings. Especially on the turbine side.

So the oil hardens and cooks. If you keep driving like that it will seize on you.

Not the end of the world really, easy to fix.

Remove the CHRA housing and inspect. I think you will end rebuilding the CHRA.

Let's us know how it goes.

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:55 pm

That noise you are hearing, could be the turbine rubbing against the metal cup.

Because you may have heavy carbon deposits on that area from the leaking oil ring.

Please check red square on picture attached

GT1549S_CHRA.jpg

If you need to rebuild the turbo I have a few guides that shows you how to do it.

I can send them to you if you like.

You can do it your self and save big or just change the CHRA all together, what ever is easier and cheaper.

robgt22
Isuzu vehicle(s): 95 honda passport, c223 swap. 01 trooper, 4jg2 swap

Postby robgt22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks everyone for your responses!! It did have more wear closer to the exhaust side and the turbine was making contact with the housing, previous owner turned the fuel up to the point of black smoke, when I got I readjusted it, but damage was done to the turbine so it’s not good for a rebuild, so I’ll just end up replacing the chra. I’m still amazed of how little play it had tho.
95 Honda passport with a c223 swap. Garrett gt1749, 15 psi of boost. Straighpiped and intercooled. 2” lift, ball joint flip, 1 1/2” diff drop. 33x12.5 R15 tires, 12000 pound winch.

01 Trooper with a 4jg2 swap

joeshmoe44883

Postby joeshmoe44883 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:52 am

These turbos use full-floating bearings, which means the shaft floats in oil inside the bearings, and the bearings float in oil in the housing bore. While this is great for absorbing engine vibrations and shaft harmonics, its terrible for oil coking. What has happened is the rear bearing has cooked to the shaft and now it is spinning with the shaft in the housing. This will wear the bearing and scar the housing. At best the housing is ok and just the bearing is junk. Wont know until its taken apart, at best youll need new shaft and rebuild kit. Worst case you’ll have to buy a new chra.

The front bearing is probably still good, which is why it feels like its still tight.
2 86 Trooper II diesels, one 4 door the other 2, both projects.
86 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with factory 2.1L turbo diesel.
05 Jeep Liberty Limited with 2.8L diesel (totaled)
06 Chevy Silverado with duramax
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel

Return to “Diesel - Troubleshooting and Maintenance”