Injection Pump leaking fuel

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
crazy4diesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Pup Turbo Diesel, DLX, manual, long bed / 1983 M-B 300TD with manual transmission / 1991 Mazda Bongo 2.0TD / 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon manual

Injection Pump leaking fuel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am

Hello one and all! I'm a brand new member, who's looking at a 1986 Turbo Diesel Pup. The current owner bought it off of someone in Texas, and had it shipped to CA. Supposedly, the Texas owner had put in 3rd gen rods and new rings 50,000 miles ago. However my inspection of the oil pan indicates some fresher looking RTV being used as a gasket. The Texas owner also, had done the timing belt, water pump, recore the radiator, thermostat, all belts and hoses, glow plugs and relay...all about 1,000 miles ago. The truck currently shows 119,000 miles.

With all this work recently done, I thought this would be a good example buy, I've missed my 1984 P'up ever since I sold it 15 years ago! And the Turbo version really seems like a great idea to me.

As I inspected this truck though, I found the injection pump was soaked in fuel when the truck is idling. It's wet from the top down, so it's really hard to see where the fuel is coming from, but to me it looks to be from the shut off valve or even the fuel inlet, that area is the wettest right around the flat area of the pump where the shut off valve is inserted. There also looks to be a banjo bolt right above the valve, and this could also be the culprit.

What do you all think? Should I walk away, or do you think this leak is something that doesn't sound too bad. I'm somewhat shocked someone would do all this work, and then miss this, and I'm half wondering if they just didn't get the fuel hoses connect securely when they put it all back together.

I've looked around, and think I have found the part for the fuel shut off, I don't know if it's ok to post websites here or not, but it's available from Star Diesel place, Diesel KiKi: 146650-1220, 146650-0720, but the minimum order is 10 units. It's only $5.30 though, so that's not bad.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you all!
So many diesels, so little time.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Injection Pump leaking fuel

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am

Normally, one’s first post should be an intro. Since you’re currently P’up-less, and looking at one, we’ll cut you some slack for now. ;) Welcome to the site.

If this seller is the one I’m thinking of, he has (or had) quite a collection.

In my experience, most of these pumps developed leaks after the introduction of ULSD fuel. Some seals can be replaced without removing the pump, and others can’t. If a pump is removed to have it re-sealed, it seems (to me) best to go ahead and spring the additional $$$ for an overhaul. I wouldn’t run away because of this, but I’d factor it into the offering price.

Jack

crazy4diesel
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Pup Turbo Diesel, DLX, manual, long bed / 1983 M-B 300TD with manual transmission / 1991 Mazda Bongo 2.0TD / 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon manual

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am

The current owner, doesn't have a clue about these trucks. He's pretty wealthy from the looks of his fleet of Sprinters, including an Airstream Sprinter. He was asking 5,800 and I've got it down to $4,900. Mostly, I'm wondering if I can drive much at all, or if this has to be done immediately. And if I do overhaul the pump, where is the best place to send it?
Last edited by crazy4diesel on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am

Was the truck in the link that I posted? If so, which truck?
crazy4diesel wrote:Mostly, I'm wondering if I can drive much as all, or if this has to be done immediately. And if I do overhaul the pump, where is the best place to send it?

If it drives well, I guess it depends on how much leakage you can tolerate.

I highly recommend that you contact “Paul” here on this site (see Injection System Troubleshooting).

Jack

crazy4diesel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Thank you very much, I have sent Paul a PM.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

$4,900 seems good for at least SOME of the trucks in the topic I linked to, even if the pump needs overhauling. Was the truck one of these?

Jack

crazy4diesel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm

It isn't any of those trucks listed, but it's apparently been "around" this site or, you made a comment about it being listed if different parts of the country for some time, which is troubling to me.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm

IMO, a leak from the top could be the fuel load screw o-ring, housing cover seal, fuel shutoff solenoid seal, cracked hose(s), leaky banjo bolt seal (washer), or throttle shaft seal to name a few.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the turbos. Mine was simple. No power steering, no AC, short bed (one piece driveshaft)...simple, economical, and I liked it that way

crazy4diesel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Ouch, no power steering or AC, in North Carolina? You probably loose a lot of body water in the summer. ;)

I like to keep it simple too, a project I just finished was a Mercedes 300TD wagon which I converted from automatic climate control to manual AC, and from automatic transmission to a manual one, also got rid of the hydraulic self leveling suspension system (what a nightmare that system is). But, when it comes to turbos, with freeway speeds being what they are today, versus what they were in 1980's I get a bit scared with some of the NA diesels, just sold a VW Rabbit pickup primarily because it was just too slow it scared me to get on the freeway with it.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

crazy4diesel wrote:It isn't any of those trucks listed, but it's apparently been "around" this site or, you made a comment about it being listed if different parts of the country for some time, which is troubling to me.

That one is a blur in my mind. I need to find that topic.

Jack

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Ah, the one in “Shasta Lake” with Texas plates?

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 pm

crazy4diesel wrote:Ouch, no power steering or AC, in North Carolina? You probably loose a lot of body water in the summer. ;)

I like to keep it simple too, a project I just finished was a Mercedes 300TD wagon which I converted from automatic climate control to manual AC, and from automatic transmission to a manual one, also got rid of the hydraulic self leveling suspension system (what a nightmare that system is). But, when it comes to turbos, with freeway speeds being what they are today, versus what they were in 1980's I get a bit scared with some of the NA diesels, just sold a VW Rabbit pickup primarily because it was just too slow it scared me to get on the freeway with it.
I always thought it would be neat to put the 4speed tranny from a 240d into a 300td. I'm running out of ambitiousness though.
Yeah, I did sweat a lot. The tractor I drove for work didn't have AC either. Drank a lot of water in the Summer. Oh, did I mention I weighed a lot less back then? :oops: :(

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 pm

No, I don't have my Pup anymore. My DD is a 2001 Camry. Ice cold AC.

crazy4diesel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:58 pm

It does have Texas plates, but was in Santa Barbara when I looked at it. A gold brown truck, with original paint no rust, but the clear coat is peeling on the hood and the roof. It's 2wd, I would have probably preferred 4WD as I'm moving to Seattle.

crazy4diesel

Postby crazy4diesel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 pm

I just purchased the autocheck report, it shows that it went unregistered from 2010 until September of this year. From 1987 to 2010 it has been registered in Victoria, Texas (assume same owner) then in September of this year, it was registered in Lubbock, Texas. Not sure if that was the same owner of if that was a "flipper". That owner I assume listed it on ebay, which is where the guy who has it now bought it from. This current owner says he's into it $8,400 but he bought it sight unseen, and never demanded to see documentation for all this work done to it. I've requested to get the previous owner's contact information, to see if I can find out what he did, and who did it.