pics of casting number

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
acer

pics of casting number

Postby acer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 am

took me a while but just learning how to post pics, here is one of my casting number on block above starter. this is on a 86 trooper diesel, could this be a upgraded warranty engine with 3rd gen rods? also i posted another pic on the post about oil filter problems.
IMG_20131029_182715_470.jpg

nucleus

Re: pics of casting number

Postby nucleus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:54 pm

Unfortunately not. The first two numbers are the date the block was cast; in your case, '82. So yes, someone swapped the engine at some point in the past, but not with a Gen 3 engine. You have a N/A block in your Trooper. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The general consensus seems to be the N/A rods are preferred over the gen 1 and gen 2 rods.

If that was the original engine that shipped in your 1986 Trooper, then the first two digits would be 85 which would be the same year the rest of the Trooper was manufactured (one year prior to model year). Gen 3 engines will typically have block casting dates later than the model year of the P'ups or Troopers as they were only installed as warranty replacements for Turbo engines that threw rods. Since no turbo diesel Pups or Troopers were imported stateside after 1987 model year, you will find gen 3 engines have starting casting dates of 88 (maybe a few 87?) through early 90s at the absolute latest when they stopped the warranty replacements. My gen 3 block for example, was cast in '89.
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.