Secret to installing an alternator??

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Lord Les

Re: Secret to installing an alternator??

Postby Lord Les » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Duck wrote:are they the two bolts for the alternator mount to the block?

Yep
1983 diesel Pup w/ long bed and manual transmission (no AC) and ugly ugly paint

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:29 pm

And now the new alt is smaller than the old alt so I have to replace the belt. I looked on RockAuto.com and it looks like they are all 50 amp no matter the size. Guess I'll need a crowbar. :)

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm

So this is not a factory alternator...Does it have the splined shaft coming out of the back?

Jack

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Ok, I'm done. The truck is running and charging. I'm leaving it for a bit so that anything I've done wrong can blow up here rather than when I am on the road.

I don' tknow about it being a factory alternator or not, but yes it had the shaft out the back.

I'm super glad I hired the guy to get the new alt in place and the back attached. I did the belts.

I'm thinking of changing out the rear axle oil next. Use thirty wiehgt, I know. I read that. And I still haven't done the timing belt. I"d like to turn the music up real loud when I leave but I'll have my dog with me.

What is that gold colored thing on the passenger side of the engine??

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Please don't go far without changing that oil line on from the block to the alternator. It could be your last trip with this motor. :(

Jack

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:Please don't go far without changing that oil line on from the block to the alternator. It could be your last trip with this motor. :(

Jack

Ok, you've convinced me. :)

Do I need to drain the oil first? I don't want to make a big mess.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:16 pm

No, it's pretty high up so it should not spill oil. But I would not remove the old one until you have the new one in hand. The only source I know of is JLEMOND, on this site.

Jack

Pupfocused

Postby Pupfocused » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Lord Les wrote:I'm thinking of changing out the rear axle oil next. Use thirty wiehgt, I know. I read that.

USE GEAR OIL in the rear axile. Use 30 Wt. in the transmision.

Jim
1981 diesel pup(gone)
1985 4X4 diesel pup
1986 diesel trooper

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Lord, just lay some cardboard down on the floor before you change the oil line. You should be fine. Be sure you use NEW little copper or alum. washers (seals) on the banjo fittings on the ends of the oil line. There are 4 in all. 2-one size, 2 another size. When the bolts are tightened, they crush the copper (or aluminum) slightly and make a seal. Used ones won't crush enough anymore. The will, but you'll break the bolts off, and you don't want to do that. They're special bolts

pup daddy

Postby pup daddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 am

I have had that bolt problem before. The solution, you have to put one in and only thread it about 1/4 turn, then use a screwdriver or punch to line up the other hole. You will have to start it with a socket and be careful not to cross thread it. Took me about 3 hours of fighting to figure out how to get my alternator back on. And my original that been rebuilt so it is just the way these parts were made.
1985 Pup diesel 4x4 4spd SB (daily truck)
1986 Pup diesel 4x2 turbo LB (Waiting for some love)
1990 chevrolet 454SS pickup
1983 Mercedes 300sd

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok, so I put the new/used alternator in and at first everything was ok except for the handbrake light staying on. Now the alt doesn't seem to be charging at all. Is there something that could have killed both alternators? The new one never really charged high enough as with the lights on and the turn signals blinking it would dip precariously close to below 12 on the volt meter. Now to get anywhere I have to charge the battery. Just another bad alternator? The belt is tight enough.

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:43 am

Look at the slip on connectors near the battery. They often get corroded. They are actually fusible links. I'm suggesting some basic "cleaning of electrical connections" as the next thing to do.
Regards,
Eric
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

tribaltatoo

Postby tribaltatoo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 am

hey have you managed to get that altenater in if you look at the two holes on the bottom side of the altenator where the long bolt goes thru on one side should be a short round bush with a slot in it you can drive this toward the rear of the altenator to increase and decrease the distance between the mounting flanges for the bolt as you tighten the bolt it will pull in tight against the bracket on the block hope this helps o i have the c223 engine manual here actualy got both of them

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Bump :roll:

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Lord Les wrote:Bump :roll:
I can't tell what the "bump" is for. But I'll try one of the questions you asked above...
Lord Les wrote:What is that gold colored thing on the passenger side of the engine??
then clarified in a PM:
Lord Les wrote:Could you please tell me what the gold colored thing is on the passenger side of the engine which has a tube coming out the back and where that tube goes? Thank you!

I suspect nobody tried to answer that one because most of us can't find anything gold anywhere under our hood. ;) In the PM, you mentioned hoses, so maybe it's the injection pump. The pump isn't gold, but the cover for the altitude compensator diaphragm on the top is sorta gold-ish.

Jack