Secret to installing an alternator??

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Lord Les

Secret to installing an alternator??

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm replacing my alternator and I'm stuck at the point where I'm trying to get the new one on, the lower bolts. Is there a secret? It sits on the two things it is supposed to slide onto and then bolt to. I can't find my hammer so I haven't tried hammering it into place. It looks like the rear part of the alternator has a thing like a ball bearing seal or something that is out about 1/32 of an inch or whatever.

I haven't reconnected anything yet either. I have two gaskets that fell off when I took off the oil cooler part. One of them is obviously fits the outer ring of the thing held on by three bolts. But I'm not sure where the other smaller gasket goes. Also, the thing with three bolts has a groove in it (not for the gasket) but I don't know what that is for either.

So! I've got pretty far considering my crappy mech skills. I am going to look for a real mechanic to finish the job. Hopefully I can get one for about 20 or 30 bucks to finish the job.
1983 diesel Pup w/ long bed and manual transmission (no AC) and ugly ugly paint

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Secret to installing an alternator??

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Lord Les wrote:I'm replacing my alternator and I'm stuck at the point where I'm trying to get the new one on, the lower bolts. Is there a secret? It sits on the two things it is supposed to slide onto and then bolt to. I can't find my hammer so I haven't tried hammering it into place. It looks like the rear part of the alternator has a thing like a ball bearing seal or something that is out about 1/32 of an inch or whatever.

I haven't reconnected anything yet either. I have two gaskets that fell off when I took off the oil cooler part. One of them is obviously fits the outer ring of the thing held on by three bolts. But I'm not sure where the other smaller gasket goes. Also, the thing with three bolts has a groove in it (not for the gasket) but I don't know what that is for either.

So! I've got pretty far considering my crappy mech skills. I am going to look for a real mechanic to finish the job. Hopefully I can get one for about 20 or 30 bucks to finish the job.

I would have put the "oil cooler part" on before putting the alternator back on (it's actually the vacuum pump, not an oil cooler). I'm kinda puzzled at what your issue is. You mentioned the ball bearing seal, etc. but is that in the way? It should have a splined shaft that comes at least 1.5 inches out the back of the alternator, if you don't have the vacuum pump mounted. Does it?

The bottom is held by a LONG bolt. The bolt should slide right in without a hammer, once you have all the holes lined up properly.

Jack

jamiejimbo622

Postby jamiejimbo622 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 pm

you can get it have the right wrenches 14 or 16mm I think for the big one below but it takes a bit of fiddling. Wd40 for the bolt may help alot if it isn't getting threaded easily or even a little diesel- anything to lube it. First shot is underneath of course.
Attachments
DSCN0698.JPG
DSCN0697.JPG
DSCN0696.JPG
chevy luv 81 4x4

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I forgot to mention in my earlier post--

Once you get it in (and you will!), you REALLY need to replace the oil line that connects to the block. These are really bad about cracking inside when moved after 28 years of being in one place. If/when that happens, you will pump oil out all over the road in a very short time. Contact JLEMOND for a new factory replacement oil line.

And if you have not removed the fan shroud, it makes things a lot easier. I didn't actually remove mine, but I removed all the screws and shifted it over so that I could put the long bolt in.

Jack

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:46 pm

The part that is screwing me over is the lower bolts. I can't get them both to line up at the same time. I can't even get them close to the holes.

I have the upper bolt (the one that moves to adjust tension on the belt) but the lower part of the alt just won't fit. I've actually taken some time off and an cooler now (physically and mentally). So I'm going to try again. Whatever it is called that the bolts thread through at the bottom of the alternator is the problem.

I'm going to connect the vacuum pump up and then go to work on getting the bolts in. I'll take off the upper bolt too in case that is just making things not line up.

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok, so inside the vacuum pump is a finely machined cylinder thing that looks like something you would put bullets in. Which way does it go?? The two sides are slightly different. I notice one side has a slightly larger circle ground out.

Also, where does the smaller gasket go? I haven't found anything that is the same size.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Lord Les wrote:Ok, so inside the vacuum pump is a finely machined cylinder thing that looks like something you would put bullets in. Which way does it go?? The two sides are slightly different. I notice one side has a slightly larger circle ground out.

Also, where does the smaller gasket go? I haven't found anything that is the same size.

I'll answer the ones I can...

The inside does have a "cylinder thing", but it also has three vanes that MUST go in it. You didn't mention them, so I hope you have them. I don't recall which direction it needs to go, so I don't want to venture a guess. I hope someone else knows the answer.

The alternator only has ONE bolt on the bottom (see the photo above). You mentioned "bottom bolts" so I'm confused.

Jack

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Lord Les wrote:Ok, so inside the vacuum pump is a finely machined cylinder thing that looks like something you would put bullets in. Which way does it go?? The two sides are slightly different. I notice one side has a slightly larger circle ground out.

I'll answer the ones I can...

The inside does have a "cylinder thing", but it also has three vanes that MUST go in it. You didn't mention them, so I hope you have them. I don't recall which direction it needs to go, so I don't want to venture a guess. I hope someone else knows the answer.

The alternator only has ONE bolt on the bottom (see the photo above). You mentioned "bottom bolts" so I'm confused.

Jack

By "vanes" I guess you mean those black rectangular things? Yea, I lost them, but found them. I have four of them.

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh, and my alt has two bolts in the bottom. Not one long bolt.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Lord Les wrote:By "vanes" I guess you mean those black rectangular things? Yea, I lost them, but found them. I have four of them.

You need one in each slot in the cylinder, and I think that would be three (it's been a while). I can't recall if the direction matters. I hope someone else can help us here.

I've put my alternator in from the top side, and I've done it from the bottom. Take your pick. But I can't imagine trying to do it with TWO bolts, because I don't have enough hands to hold the alternator and the bolts.I'd suggest getting the long bolt that SHOULD hold the bottom of the alternator to its bracket. Someone here is bound to have one, along with the nut that goes on the end.

And don't forget that oil line.

Jack

Duck

Postby Duck » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 pm

are they the two bolts for the alternator mount to the block?
90 Dakota with C223

1welderua

Postby 1welderua » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Jack I had a pup with 2 bolts on the bottom instead of the one long one. They were real hard to get in.One went through the altenator ear at the rear and one went through the ear on the front and they screwed into the bracket that mounts to the block. Those 2 bolts are now in the river and I have one long bolt. I had to grind a hole through the fan shroud to stick the head of the bolt in so I would have enough room to get the long bolt in. I think Larry just cut a chunk out of his fan shroud.

jamiejimbo622

Postby jamiejimbo622 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 pm

about the vanes, I called them brushes at the store- feel we're talking about the same items, but I did lose one as well pulling the vacuum pump off the alternator and the shop found a replacement so which way it goes shouldn't matter.
chevy luv 81 4x4

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

I'm stuck here: which way does the cylinder thing go??

Lord Les

Postby Lord Les » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:52 am

Actually, I think I figured out which way to put that cylinder thing. One way has it completley flush with another metal part, so I'm guessing that isn't the right way to go.