Complete Filter List for 81-87 Diesel P'ups

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
hankosaurus

Re: Complete Filter List for 81-87 Diesel P'ups

Postby hankosaurus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:36 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Diesel Chic Magnet wrote:Speaking of oil filters, has anyone ever found a suitable "cap style" wrench that fits the oil filters on these trucks? I always have a hell of a time getting my filter on and off, and I'd like to have something that I can plug a ratchet into that will actually work...

Here ya go, sorry I forgot to dig it out a few days ago...

Jack

Hi Guys.

I was trying to buy the likes of that filter removal tool at NAPA a few days ago. Just to see if the wrench options they had would work, the salesman brought out an oil filter of the type I would be putting on my P'up. As it turns out, the NAPA Gold filter did not have the indentions at its top to mate with the cap-like, wrench-driven filter removal tool. And their heavy-duty band-tightening type filter removal tools were too big and clumsy to use in the tight quarters where I had to work at the truck.

Will the cap-like filter wrench tool work anyway by pressing those needed indentions into the metal at the top of the filter just by FORCING it on? I was afraid to trust that idea, and instead bought a small, cheaper band tightening wrench at Advance (NAPA did not have one). It works okay, but it's a lot more clumsy than I imagine a ratchet-driven solution would be.
HANK

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I too have tried different tools to remove my filter. Now, if I cannot remove it by hand, I just take a big screwdriver and hammer it through the filter. Instant leverage/handle. I don't think I even own a strap wrench anymore. :D
1984 diesel LS long bed 4x4
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed
1984 diesel 4x2 short bed MPG Plus
1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun May 24, 2009 2:27 pm

I have been doing oil changes on my trucks for many years. I hand tighten the filter 5/8 to 3/4 turn past contact w/ filter base. 99% of the time, I can remove the filter with my hands and not need a wrench. Also, over tightening filters onto the square base cooler (84-87) you can damage the base by deforming it so it won't seal off the oil. Attempting to loosening over-tight filters can result in making the cooler loosen as well thus breaking the o-ring seal between the base & cooler.
Andy

jasonw86

Postby jasonw86 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Yeah, I use about the same amount of force to put a filter on my pup. I am pretty sure there was only one time that I had trouble getting the filter off over the last twelve or so years I have owned it. I believe that those strap wrenches are unnecessary if the filter is installed correctly, put new oil on the gasket after wiping the mating surface and turning half a turn or just past when the filter "seats". If they only would have rotated that sucker 180 I would be even happier. :wink:
1984 diesel LS long bed 4x4
1983 diesel 4x2 long bed
1984 diesel 4x2 short bed MPG Plus
1984 diesel 4x2 automatic longbed
1982 diesel 4x4 LUV mikado shortbed
1986 gas LS 4x4 Trooper II 2 door
1984 turbodiesel 4x2 automatic longbed

Maximumwedgehead

Postby Maximumwedgehead » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 pm

I cant find the Oil filter study, but had it booked marked. Some very interesting info. Very Scientific, they dissected the filter, measured and tested the filer element, size thickness etc. The looked at the check valve design.
Being a drag racer and spending of upwards of $30K on a race engine, we want the best oil filter out there. The Purolator filters tested very good, so did the Motor craft, and Delco (most were made by the same company) Wix tested with the best of them.

The worst was the standard Fram oil filter, it had the least area measured in filtration element, had the worst check valve design, allowing engine to loose its prime and letting dirty oil leak back through to the pan to get suck up by the oil pickup tube.
Fram does have a Performance line of race filters. They are much better than there standard oil filter.
Now I use a system 1 Oil filter which uses a stainless reusable filter element. This enables me to pull the filter at the track, and check for metal etc.
It pays for its self, but its kind of pricey.
85 Chevy S-10 C223 2.2 Diesel non turbo, T-10 5 speed trans
65 Hemi Belvedere, Cross Ram Hemi 572" CNC ported heads 875HP street bruiser.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/T ... 2957-1.jpg

StevePT

Postby StevePT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 pm

This might be the oil filter analysis you are refering to:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... ufacturers

Also, take a look at this link:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fi ... OilFilters

DieselSmoke

Postby DieselSmoke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Wow, this is an old thread. I barely remember posting this. A good excuse to post on the board though. My diesel p'up has been in storage for about 4 years now.
1981 Isuzu Diesel P'up DLX - Shortbed - 2WD - Black - 5-Speed

Check Out My Gallery!

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually - Cummins Diesel

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:13 pm

DieselSmoke wrote:Wow, this is an old thread. I barely remember posting this. A good excuse to post on the board though. My diesel p'up has been in storage for about 4 years now.

welcome back to the forum!!

DieselSmoke

Postby DieselSmoke » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Thank you! I never really meant to "leave" as such but my Isuzu has been pushed to the side over the past few years. It will probably be going to ebay sometime in the next few months. I have a few cosmetic things to take care of, other than that it is ready to sell.
1981 Isuzu Diesel P'up DLX - Shortbed - 2WD - Black - 5-Speed

Check Out My Gallery!

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually - Cummins Diesel

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 pm

DieselSmoke wrote:Thank you! I never really meant to "leave" as such but my Isuzu has been pushed to the side over the past few years. It will probably be going to ebay sometime in the next few months. I have a few cosmetic things to take care of, other than that it is ready to sell.

Hans,

Please talk to me before you do that. A guy at work stopped me today who is looking for one.

Jack

haightc

Postby haightc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 pm

A article I read said mobile 1 and bosch good oil filter design. I have tried the bosch oil filter yet but the mobile 1s seem to work well. The diagrams make them look exactly the same. internally, bosch is significantly cheaper. What do you guys use for oil as a side note? i was justgoing to fick up some 5-40 Mbille 1 sygthetic tuebo diesel when I do I my oil change.
1982 Chevy Luv 2WD diesel

trev0006

Postby trev0006 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Good find.

StevePT wrote:This might be the oil filter analysis you are refering to:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... ufacturers

Also, take a look at this link:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fi ... OilFilters

genesluv
Isuzu vehicle(s): None

Re:

Postby genesluv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 am

VETTE75406 wrote:may want to add a AC-DELCO fuel filter number tp1001f , this a cross over filter for the fil3405 napa number , i work for a GM dealership and typicaly use what i can get from my delco warehouse, filter would run about 13 to 15 bucks customer price , this was less than half what the crossover for filter with the water sensor .

NOTE: When buying this filter beware that the WIX/NAPA filter 3405 will also pull up as a 33405 which is not the same filter. The 33405 will not screw in because the hole is too big and it is too long to fit under it. The FIL33405 cross references to the AC-Delco tp1001f, which has the same problem. Local parts store is ordering the FIL3405, but they dont even have one at the main warehouse so give yourself some time before changing filters. Just a helpful hint to make sure the wix/napa filter number is 4 digits instead of 5, or they will add a 3 and you will be making trips to the parts store like me :wink:
'82 LUV Diesel 5spd, 2wd, swb

olddesertrat

Postby olddesertrat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Excellent thread and great info!!!

Want to leave everyone with warning. Pep Boys computers are wrong. Before finding this filter list went to Pep Boys and their computer said Purolator L34002 would fit on my 83 Pup. They were wrong. Threads on filter too large. Wasted time and money. AFter seeing this thread, bought Napa Gold (same for Wix) for cheaper than wrong purolator.

Later :D

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

olddesertrat wrote:Before finding this filter list went to Pep Boys and their computer said Purolator L34002 would fit on my 83 Pup.

Your P'up just might have a newer motor, is that possible? I'm going to guess that's the filter for the '84 and later models--either that, or it's for an '83 gas motor

Jack