IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 am 

Hey guys - I've compiled a list of all the filter part numbers for our diesels. I've tried to include the big name, heavy-duty filter manufacturers along with a couple that you could probably find at a local parts store.

You can download the MS Word document from the address below or just reference back to this post.

Download the Diesel P'up Filter List

Diesel P'up Oil Filters

1981-1983

Baldwin - B1446
Donaldson - P550718
Fleetguard - LF3786
Purolator - L20290
Wix - 51523

1984-1987

Baldwin - BD142
Donaldson - P502032
Fleetguard - LF3508
Purolator - L34002
Wix - 51091

Diesel P'up Fuel Filters

1981-1987

Baldwin - BF7534
Donaldson - P550390
Fleetguard - FF5160
Purolator - F60222
Wix - 33128

Diesel P'up Air Filters

1981-1987

Baldwin - PA1657
Donaldson - P607324
Fleetguard - AF1649
K&N - E-2760
Purolator - A40103
Wix - 46165

1986-1987 Turbocharged

Baldwin - PA2135
Donaldson - P500063
Fleetguard - AF4615
Purolator - A24278
PureONE - PA24278
Wix - 46116

That's what I have to this point. I'm sure you will notice that I haven't included any of the Wal-Mart or AutoZone type filters, with the exception of Purolator. I wanted to put this list together so everyone on here would know that the high-quality filter manufacturers do offer filters for our trucks that are readily available.

Baldwin, Donaldson, and Fleetguard filters have proven their quality in heavy trucks, on the farm, and in other heavy-equipment applications. Your best bet on finding these filters would be at a big rig parts house or dealership. There are also some sites online that offer these filters at discount prices.

DISCLAIMER - many of these part numbers were located using a cross-reference. Depending on what brand you use for the cross-reference, you might get different results when looking up certain part numbers. This just indicates that there are multiple filters with the same thread size and dimensions. Baldwin Filters offered the best online catalog, so I used its numbers to cross-reference.

Check Out My Gallery!

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually - Cummins Diesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:41 pm 

I'm glad to see you didn't put Fram on that list. I cringe every time I see one of their filters, especially on a diesel rig. All you have to do is hacksaw one open and you'll know why they are junk.

What's the difference in 81-83 vs. 84-87 C223's that makes them require different oil filters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:20 pm 

Yeah, I tried to steer clear of the Wal-Mart filters. The only reason Purolator is on there is so those shopping at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts would have something to go on. I really just wanted everyone to know that there are some really good filters out there for our trucks.

As far as the differences in the oil filters, I'm not sure of the technical reasoning behind it, but it looks like the 84-87 filter is larger than the 81-83 filter and it has a different thread size among other things.

Below are the pics from Baldwin's website:

1981-1983

1984-1987

Looks like there might be a valve on the 84-87 filter that stops the oil from draining out of the filter.

Check Out My Gallery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:59 pm 

DieselSmoke wrote:
Yeah, I tried to steer clear of the Wal-Mart filters. The only reason Purolator is on there is so those shopping at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts would have something to go on. I really just wanted everyone to know that there are some really good filters out there for our trucks.

As far as the differences in the oil filters, I'm not sure of the technical reasoning behind it, but it looks like the 84-87 filter is larger than the 81-83 filter and it has a different thread size among other things.

Below are the pics from Baldwin's website:

1981-1983

1984-1987

Looks like there might be a valve on the 84-87 filter that stops the oil from draining out of the filter.

Yes there is a valve in there, but I think it's just a std. bypass valve, our red pup' has one of those type filters on it, my 82 LUV took less time with the other filter building up oil pressure.

Post subject: Filter interchange
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:21 am 

1. I believe the oil filters may interchange. Look at the mounting base on your truck. One of the trucks I had had a wide gasket mounting surface that would let it take both filters, the fat one and the slender one.

2. Before you knock the lesser priced filters, just a thought. I had an 83 Pup I bought in 88. I used all brands of filters. I started off with WIX because that was all I could find, but they were almost $10 dollars 18 years ago. Then I just started using the ones from Autozone, the Deutch filters. (I am thinking they were the D434?) I believe these have been replaced by STP, but AZ no longer carries the oil filters. I think Pep Boys does, however. I also used the Fram and Duetch air filters, I believe the A326. I did change the oil somewhat regularly, most of the time using the cheapest 15W-40 oil I could find. I believe most of the time this was the WalMart brand, or the Coastal brand from AZ. Much to my shame, I don't think I changed the fuel filter more than 4 or five times in all the years I owned that truck. The result of using cheap filters and oil? The guy we sold this truck to is still running it around the area here. I have seen it in the last month or so. (It is so ugly now even I wouldn't drive it). The odometer stopped working at 185,000 in about 1992. It had 62,0000 miles when I bought it. We estimate it to now have around 380,000 to 400,000 miles on it. The engine never gave me any trouble, other that changing glow plugs. Maybe cheap filters and oil aren't that bad.

Go figure.

Max

P.S. It has never had the timing belt changed either, unless it was done before I got it. :oops:
Disclaimer: "Your results may vary." :roll:

Post subject: filter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:26 am 

I'm no mechanic, but the "car guy" here at work recommends the Fleetguard or Wix. I'll let the real knuckle-busters have their say.

Post subject: Re: filter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 am 

dobertw wrote:
I'm no mechanic, but the "car guy" here at work recommends the Fleetguard or Wix. I'll let the real knuckle-busters have their say.

Definitely two good filters. I've got Wix filters on my Isuzu right now and have always preferred to run Fleetguard on the Cummins in my Dodge, but I'm swapping to Baldwin since the local Cummins branch has raised the prices on the Fleetguards so much.

I need to change the oil and filters on my Isuzu this winter, and I'll probably go to Baldwin on it too. I've always used them on big trucks and have had good results.

Check Out My Gallery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:08 pm 

Doesn't WIX make the filters for NAPA? If so, are they the same quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:37 pm 

Napa Gold filters are made by Wix. They are the exact same product as the Wix counterpart.

By the way - on the list above, if you take the first number in each Wix part number away you have the Napa Gold part number. So the Napa Gold numbers are just the last four digits of the Wix numbers.

Check Out My Gallery!

Post subject: Unexpected fuel filter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:16 pm 

I unboxed my nice WIX 33128 fuel filter to install on my '84 diesel P'up. When I went to remove the existing filter I found a Napa Gold Fuel/Water Separator Item#: FIL3405. Its a self contained unit, whereas the WIX has threading on the bottom for the sensor assembly et al that seems to be missing from my P'up.

Has anybody run across this before? Should I just replace with another or am I losing something by not having the original assembly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:29 pm 

You should be fine using that fuel/water separator if you don't have the water-in-fuel (WIF) sensor assembly. That's good to know there's a filter out there that will fit the housing on our diesel pups but doesn't have the big opening at the bottom for the sensor, in case there's somebody that doesn't have the WIF sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:08 pm 

There was somebody recently who's sensor had broken. This would be perfect for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:43 pm 

may want to add a AC-DELCO fuel filter number tp1001f , this a cross over filter for the fil3405 napa number , i work for a GM dealership and typicaly use what i can get from my delco warehouse, filter would run about 13 to 15 bucks customer price , this was less than half what the crossover for filter with the water sensor cost,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:34 pm 

Speaking of oil filters, has anyone ever found a suitable "cap style" wrench that fits the oil filters on these trucks? I always have a hell of a time getting my filter on and off, and I'd like to have something that I can plug a ratchet into that will actually work...

2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x2 5 speed

1973 Aquasport 19-6 Bay Boat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Diesel Chic Magnet wrote:
Speaking of oil filters, has anyone ever found a suitable "cap style" wrench that fits the oil filters on these trucks? I always have a hell of a time getting my filter on and off, and I'd like to have something that I can plug a ratchet into that will actually work...

Here ya go, sorry I forgot to dig it out a few days ago...

Jack

Attachments:
File comment: Hard to read, but the manufacturer is OEM Industrial. Part number is 25402. I bought this at AutoZone.

Jack

DSCF0930.JPG
DSCF0930.JPG [ 463.61 KiB | Viewed 6444 times ]

Edit your Signature
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way