IsuzuPup.com

"If there's ever a nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be cockroaches and Isuzu diesels." (author unknown) This site is dedicated to the humble little Isuzu P'up.
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:10 pm 

I'm putting the head back on an '86 Trooper turbo diesel (C223T). Unfortunately, I didn't take it off and have some questions:

There are 9 threaded holes for the intake/exhaust manifold. How many are studs and how many bolts? Where do the studs go verses the bolts?

When I put the timing belt back on, I know the arrows on the pump and cam gears must lineup while the notch on the balancer pointing to 0 TDC. Question is, how do I know if I'm at TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke or does it matter? Don't I need to know this to adjust the valve clearance?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:48 pm 
Official Sensei, IsuzuPup Dōjō

newpup wrote:
I'm putting the head back on an '86 Trooper turbo diesel (C223T). Unfortunately, I didn't take it off and have some questions:

There are 9 threaded holes for the intake/exhaust manifold. How many are studs and how many bolts? Where do the studs go verses the bolts?

When I put the timing belt back on, I know the arrows on the pump and cam gears must lineup while the notch on the balancer pointing to 0 TDC. Question is, how do I know if I'm at TDC on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke or does it matter? Don't I need to know this to adjust the valve clearance?

Thanks

WHEN YOU HAVE THE CAM AND PUMP PULLEYS AND THE CRANK PULLEY AT THEIR CORRECT MARKS, YOU WILL BE ON TDC NO 1 CYL AND BOTH VLV SHOULD BE LOOSE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:59 pm 

Check out these threads;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1263&p=7462&hilit=timing+belt#p7462
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2614

They're about timing belt installs, but would help with the TDC question too. They're both from Jerry, very good. If I had a turbo I'd try to help with the bolts and stud question.

Brian

(sorry you'll have to copy and paste the links, got them from another thread and for some reason they're not live)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 am 

Seven of the hole should be studs. Loosely fit the intake manifold up to the head and you'll see where two bolts go through the intake manifold that have to be about 4" long. These ones need to be bolts and the rest are studs.