Headgasket replace now won't start

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Adiddas11
Isuzu vehicle(s): 81 chevy luv 4x4 diesel/ 81 chevy luv diesel 2wd/85 chevy s10 diesel(now converting to TD) /1994 isuzu pickup 2.3

Headgasket replace now won't start

Post by Adiddas11 »

I replaced the head gasket on my 81 chevy luv, now it won't start. The engine just turns over and sounds live it has no compression. I bleed the fuel system with an electric pump I have as well. I could really use tips or ideas of what is causing it.
dorf

Re: Headgasket replace now won't start

Post by dorf »

Numerous possibilities

I'd say. It is sucking air.some where.....filter.....fuel lines.....bad clamps

Or no power to fuel valve on injection pump
dorf

Post by dorf »

Or.....just no compression
Dieselsmoke69
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 CHEVY LUV MIKADO C223 DIESEL 2wd,1981 Chevy Luv shortbed 2wd G180Z, 1981 Chevy Luv Mikado 4x4 G180Z redline weber 32/36

Post by Dieselsmoke69 »

Sounds like a timing issue or valves not adjusted correctly after head gasket replacement. Check valve adjustment first and compression if you have a diesel compression tester. All else your going to have to remove the lower pulley and front cover and check the timing marks and belt.
Adiddas11
Isuzu vehicle(s): 81 chevy luv 4x4 diesel/ 81 chevy luv diesel 2wd/85 chevy s10 diesel(now converting to TD) /1994 isuzu pickup 2.3

Post by Adiddas11 »

I took the head off again and put a new gasket on. I adjusted the Valves and I got it to run. Now after a week of driving it, it's doing the same thing. Just cranks and won't start.
JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Post by JoeIsuzu »

I've never replaced a head gasket. But it seems like I've read that the bolts need to be re-torqued. Did I dream that?

Jack
Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Post by Halden »

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:52 pm
I've never replaced a head gasket. But it seems like I've read that the bolts need to be re-torqued. Did I dream that?

Jack
That is proper procedure. They do stretch and settle a little bit. Typically people avoid it by going over by about 20 ft lbs on little low power engines. I personally just do it by manufacturers procedures and specs.

It's also worth asking if the bolt holes were super clean and the bolts clean, as well as using a little oil on the threads, AND the flanges of the bolts.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
Adiddas11

Post by Adiddas11 »

Yes I cleaned the holes properly, and followed the specs and sequence. But I did figure it out. The glow plugs for some reason stopped working. And one of the fusible links broke. After a couple days of testing and putting spare parts on, we figured it all out and now she runs like a champ.