Crankshaft bolt removal

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
teener
Isuzu vehicle(s): 81 DLX P'up, 82 diesel Luv

Crankshaft bolt removal

Postby teener » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to remove the crank bolt to put an new front seal in while I'm changing the timing belt. I've put the LUV in 4th gear, applied the parking brake and had a helper step on the brakes while putting a breaker bar with a cheater on it to break it loose. It is very stubborn, and I'm worried something like the tranny or driveshaft is going to break. Is this a common problem? Should I worry about something letting go? I'm thinking I might wait until I need to change out the clutch and I can get more a positive stop on the flywheel.

Thanks

arrowmntdiesel

Re: Crankshaft bolt removal

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Pull the radiator and use a 1/2 drive impact gun. Counter clockwise will take the bolt off.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 15 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 30+ years. One Blessed Man!

teener

Postby teener » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 pm

I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. I must need a bigger impact gun, it didn't budge. I'll try again though.
Thank you Arrowmntdiesel

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 pm

teener wrote:I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. I must need a bigger impact gun, it didn't budge. I'll try again though.
Thank you Arrowmntdiesel

From JLEMOND. This works on the gas 2.6L 4ZE1, but I see no reason it wouldn't work on the C223.

Brace your breaker bar securely against the frame, and hit the starter (in neutral, of course).

And by the way, you should not be doing any of this with the timing belt off.

Jack

teener

Postby teener » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 am

Maybe before I go and wire and plumb my compressor (way past due anyway) I'll try the starter method. The electric impact driver I used was one of my few HF tools, and it is too long to get a truly straight shot at the crank. I'll put the belt back on, but did I already screw up by twisting the crank a few degrees? I don't think so, but now not 100% sure.
Thank you for the ideas and encouragement, guys

soot fart

Postby soot fart » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:28 pm

That's the way I've done several, just barely bump the starter and keep body parts clear. Good advice Good JERRY. bad Jerry

teener

Postby teener » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks guys! I busted it loose yesterday with the starter/breaker bar method. I did have to add some heat to the head of the bolt to get it to go. Time to install Speedi-sleeves and new seals on the crank and cam.

Rjonesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Turbo Diesel Space Cab LS

Postby Rjonesy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 am

Glad starter worked. I ended up buying a HF 3/4 drive impact and adding larger diameter hose to my compressor. This took it right off.