Engine Oil Circulation

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
PRPUP
Isuzu vehicle(s): '84 Isuzu Pickup Diesel

Engine Oil Circulation

Postby PRPUP » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi diesel owners,

I have an '84 Pup and changed the oil recently. Noticed through the cover that it was staying dry. Opened up the valve cover today and started the engine. Oil is flowing only through one set of rocker arms only. It's the second set from back to front. Is that ok? What should I do if the oil needs to flow through each set? Are the other tubes clogged?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated and thank you!!!

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Re: Engine Oil Circulation

Postby Halden » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Copious amounts of oil are not going to be flowing through there. They are fed off of the cam shaft. They get a small shot of oil once ever Rev of the cam. Are the others bone dry? You really can't see oil flowing there. Take a look at my rebuild thread where I pressure lube my engine. I took a picture of the rockers. I had the engine in the spot so it would steadily feed oil to the rockers. Only got a little bit. Its been like that on other engines I have done as well.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel 4x4
82 LUV Short Bed Diesel 5 Speed 2wd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

PRPUP

Postby PRPUP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Halden,

Thanks for the input! I saw the picture on your rebuild. It makes me less worried now. I just want to make sure its running ok since nobody knows anything about these engines down here. Just to make sure I understood. You can't really see oil flowing to the other rockers? Or are you asking me? I just can't really tell. I pulled the valve cover and started the engine. Oil comes out through one passageway from the oil filter then flows down through the shaft to the other rocker sets? Should I run a flush on my next oil change to make sure there isn't any debris clogging the shaft. I did see oil gushing a little bit on that set of rockers I mentioned, second set from back to front but not on the others. Reason I was worried was because a change the oil pump on a VW 1.6 TD and notice oil gushing oil over the place doing the same thing with the engine on and the valve cover off. Thanks for responding!

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Really it depends on how the lube system of the engine is set up. I am not sure how the VW 1.6 motors are set up, those are OHC engines right?

You could run a flush through the oil... Of course the risk you run there is cleaning out build up that is keeping it from leaking, or you could dislodge some buildup and plug something up... I highly doubt you have any issues and would just leave it as is. I think people tend to get a little too excitable

The rockers are the very end of the lube system, so you really won't see any oil. This is not a high stress portion of the engine, It just needs to have enough oil for those rockers to move a little bit. Unless your valve clearances are screwed up and there is slop in those rockers on the shaft I would just leave it. If you are really losing sleep over it I can advise what I think would be better than a flush. I don't ever think flushes are a good idea on something like this.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel 4x4
82 LUV Short Bed Diesel 5 Speed 2wd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

PRPUP

Postby PRPUP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks Halden!

I'll follow your advice and just let it be. Engine has been running great as is and yeah, I thought running a flush would be risky too. Thanks for answering!