Runaway

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Strickl

Runaway

Postby Strickl » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Hey guys
I havnt been here in awhile because the pups been running great and I have tons of other projects. Anyways I down shifted from 5th to 4th going into a corner and the engine took off with tons of black smoke out of the tail pipe. I was able to just turn it of with the key so I don't think it's running on oil. It's a 82 with no turbo and the csd removed. Any ideas? I searched some posts that sounded close but they have all been sitting for awhile. Would the start up plunger sticking thing still be a possibility?
Thanks Jesse
82 pup diesel 4+4 5 speed

robgt22
Isuzu vehicle(s): 95 honda passport, c223 swap. 01 trooper, 4jg2 swap

Re: Runaway

Postby robgt22 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 am

Did you start if back up? If so, did it went straight to an idle? It might be a problem with the governor not backing up at higher rpms. Isn’t the throttle cable sticking?
95 Honda passport with a c223 swap. Garrett gt1749, 15 psi of boost. Straighpiped and intercooled. 2” lift, ball joint flip, 1 1/2” diff drop. 33x12.5 R15 tires, 12000 pound winch.

01 Trooper with a 4jg2 swap

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 am

Throttle cable is free. I drove it about a mile to get to a friend's house by turning it off and on to control my speed. I havnt tried restarting it since.
Thanks Jesse

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 pm

I made it back to it today. Still goes to full throttle as soon as it fires. I might try changing the fuel filter and running some atf or sea foam threw it. Anybody got any other ideas?
Thanks Jesse

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 am

Strickl wrote:I made it back to it today. Still goes to full throttle as soon as it fires. I might try changing the fuel filter and running some atf or sea foam threw it. Anybody got any other ideas?
Thanks Jesse

Sounds like a stuck fuel control spool inside the pump. This would be highly unusual but might happen if there is a significant amount of gum accumulated in the pump. Are you running WVO?

Sea foam or other solvent like additives might help with this but otherwise you will need to open the pump and take a look.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Can you get to it from the top or do you have to pull it? I'm just running diesel.
Thanks Jesse

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:35 am

Strickl wrote:Can you get to it from the top or do you have to pull it? I'm just running diesel.
Thanks Jesse

Jesse - -

It is possible to remove the top cover with the pump in the truck. It is a bit of a challenge so I recommend this only to the fearless and mechanically skillful. I have posted a step by step 'how to' for this HERE. The instructions are in the third post down.

If you do open the pump, move the control lever through its range and see if the control spool just below is following along OK. With your runaway condition, I suspect that the lever will not want to move at all or be very sluggish.

If it is stuck or sluggish, you probably can free it up by removing the diesel fuel and then use a little lacquer thinner on the spool (to dissolve any gum) so that it will slide along the plunger. Make sure to remove the lacquer thinner before reassembly.

If you can, please post some photos of this.

Paul

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Thank you Paul.... it might be a little while until I get to it but I will report back.

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:50 am

Hey guys... we finally had a rainy day. Pulled the top off the pump off and the little ball socket on my governor control arm is broke and the fuel control collar that it moves is stuck. Pual nailed it. Time to pull the pump.
Thanks for the help

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Strickl wrote:Hey guys... we finally had a rainy day. Pulled the top off the pump off and the little ball socket on my governor control arm is broke and the fuel control collar that it moves is stuck. Pual nailed it. Time to pull the pump.
Thanks for the help

Too bad. That ball hardly ever fails and it is usually because of physical abuse. Sometimes the control sleeve will freeze up on the plunger and then the rotation of the plunger will literally rip the ball out of the lever assembly. Did you notice if the control sleeve can be moved by hand?

The lever assembly will need to be replaced and it will not be cheap. Best deal is if you can round up another parts pump? The control lever assembly is pretty much different on most pumps too, so will need one for a Pup.

Paul

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:46 pm

No. I can't even get it to move with a screw driver. I'm kind of bummed because I had a spare pump that burned up in the Car fire a couple months ago. If I had fixed it right when it happened I would of had the parts. But that being said the only reason the truck survived is it was at my dad's broken down.
I'm going to take it to redding fuel injection and see what they can do. Maybe I should ship it down to your shop?
Thanks Jesse

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am

I'm getting a few brand new speed control assemblies in a few weeks. Let me know if you still need one. I will post them for sell on ebay.

You will also need a new rotor head because yours is seized. I'm assuming you have the non turbo, right? If you have the non turbo you have the 9mm head.

I have 2 units, brand new of 9mm distribuitor heads and 2 units of the 10mm head (C223T) for sale if you ever need any.

Strickl

Postby Strickl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm

I am still needing both parts. How do I find them on ebay? It is a NA pump.
Thanks