Fuel Injector Leak, and pages from 1986 shop manual

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Newtron

Re: Fuel Injector Leak, and pages from 1986 shop manual

Postby Newtron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 am

Sorry to revive an old thread, but its still the same truck similar problem.

I have replaced the leaky injector as stated above and that held up fine for a few years. Now the same thing has happened again, I'm getting leaking fuel at the first injector around the 30mm nut. I cant get the injector any tighter. Thoughts on where I should go from here? Should I pop the injector out (if I do this where can I get those special crush washers?) and wrap the threads with something? Any help is greatly appreciated. I will also hit upJLEMOND and see what he says
1982 2x4 Diesel Pup Two Tank WVO System
1981 2x4 Diesel Pup DLX Long Bed
1986 4x4 Turbo Diesel Pup Space Cab (roomate moved out with it, but still see it often)

Paul

Re: Fuel Injector Leak, and pages from 1986 shop manual

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 am

Newtron wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but its still the same truck similar problem.

I have replaced the leaky injector as stated above and that held up fine for a few years. Now the same thing has happened again, I'm getting leaking fuel at the first injector around the 30mm nut. I cant get the injector any tighter. Thoughts on where I should go from here? Should I pop the injector out (if I do this where can I get those special crush washers?) and wrap the threads with something? Any help is greatly appreciated. I will also hit upJLEMOND and see what he says

I suggest removing the leaking injector and take it to a fuel injection shop for pop testing. Have them look for leaks from any place on the body of the injector. The injector body could be faulty or the nut that holds the injector nozzle onto the body might be loose. They can check the pop off pressure while they are at it (1920 psi).

Also, note that there is a copper sealing washer required under the nozzle nut. I have not seen you mention this. If this washer is missing, compression gases might blow some fuel back up around the injector body.

Here is a photo of an injector with an arrow on the nut that might be loose (should be torqued to 65 ft/lbs). Click on the image for an enlarged clearer copy.

Paul

Nut might be loose causing fuel leak.jpg

Installation Info & Torque.jpg
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

Return to “Diesel - Troubleshooting and Maintenance”